Freeze Shopify Account for Two Months

pokehub
2 0 0

Hello, I created a Shopify account to try if Shopify meets all my requirements (it does), I don't need Shopify right now, but I will need it in about 2 Months.
My trial ends in 4 Days, but I already setup everything I need and don't want to loose all that Progress, is there a way to completely freeze my account and unfreeze it again when I actually need it?

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
388 42 97

Hi, @pokehub!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

If you didn't add a credit card or other payment method to your account, then when the trial expires the account will freeze on its own. However, if you added a
payment method to your account, the system will automatically bill and charge you for the upcoming month and any other fees.

When the account freezes due to unpaid bills the account will keep your settings and data the way you left them. As soon as you get back to your business you'll log in as normal and reactivate the account by paying any outstanding bills or paying your first month back.

You do have some other options as well. We have a pause plan that is only $9/month to keep your store accessible but not live to the public. You'll have some limitations on that plan since it's a paused version of the account.

The other option is to place it on a full pause for up to 3 months. The caveat on this plan is that you need to have been on a paid plan for at least 60 days before you become eligible for this free pause plan.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes

Just to add on, if you have added credit card and you are using any paid app that would start charging, you would probably want to email the app developer to extend your free trial and many (including myself) would be happy to do that for you. Good luck!

Dropdown Filters for Shopify Blog Posts and Articles
https://apps.shopify.com/blog-post-article-tag-filter
Setup blog article filters easily now with tags.
0 Likes
pokehub
2 0 0

So if I don't choose an plan right now my account gets Frozen and I can just start working on the shop again once I pay for a plan in two months or do I have a time limit until my store gets deleted, I have read somewhere online that your store gets deleted after 30 Days of not paying, is that true? 

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
388 42 97

@Choong-HueApps this is definitely correct. As mentioned in my reply, adding any payment method to an account will cause bills to be automatically be charged to that payment method (credit card, PayPal, payout balance, etc).

Thank you for adding that really great suggestion to email the app developers! That's very helpful in many cases where an app has a free trial. I appreciate the recommendation made to merchants there!

Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
388 42 97

@pokehub Great questions to ask! I'm happy to clarify this for you.

As long as you have not entered a credit card, PayPal account or enabled payment by payout balance (these are all payment methods), your store will simply freeze after non-payment of your new invoice at the end of your free trial.

If your store is frozen, we can't guarantee that it won't be marked for deletion beyond 30 days of inactivity. That said, once an account is marked for deletion there is a 90 day period before it is fully deleted.

You can easily reactivate your account anytime before it's marked for deletion, however, if it's in the queue for removal you won't be able to log in to reactivate. If you encounter any trouble logging in to reactivate, this could mean that you're account is in the queue for removal. In this case, you can reach out to our team to check if your account has been deleted. Remember there's that 90-day time frame before it's removed so if you're back on your account before then, you may be alright or you can speak to an advisor about your account before that period of time expires.

As a reference point, we have a section (7.3) in our Terms of Service that can help further clarify your role in data storage.

Let me know if this helps clarify things, I'd be happy to elaborate on any areas mentioned if you're needing a bit more clarity.

0 Likes