Fulfilling orders and payment gateway

Solved
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi,

I have the following issue with my store. A customer, in this case it was me doing the order to test the process, can order on my store, everything goes through, but once they click submit on the order and make the payment, they are redirected to this page below which shows You payment cant be processed....

However when i check the Abandoned checkout, the order is displayed there.

The user still receives a mail from Payfast, the external payment provider, mentioning that your payment is successful.

The problem, is that i cant see how or where to fulfil this order on shopify. It stays in Abandoned checkout. No email is sent from Shopify saying thanks for the purchase...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-11-15 at 22.18.36.png

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
309 24 45

Hi, @munier.

Tira here, from Shopify Support.

This is a great question. An abandoned checkout will be created whenever contact information is added to checkout, and the customer hasn't completed the checkout process. Since there was an error on the checkout, the checkout could not be completed, however it still sent a message over to the payment provider. If the checkout was successfully completed, then an order confirmation (Thank You) page would be shown at the end of the checkout stage. Check out our help doc to review more information about abandoned checkouts, here: Recovering abandoned checkouts

It looks like PayFast may have taken too long to send a response to Shopify, so in this case, the payment can go through on their side, but we didn't receive the required information within a certain timeframe. When this happens, to prevent us from waiting for a long time, we turn this into an abandoned checkout. 

If you go into Orders > Abandoned checkouts and click on the abandoned checkout, and scroll to History and click on Payment Event, you can see the status of whether the payment was received by Shopify. To learn more about this process, you can check out our help doc here: View payment events from an abandoned checkout.

If the payment has been confirmed by PayFast, then you can create a draft order for the order and mark the order as paid. You can follow our instructions here in our help doc to do this: Create a draft order. At this time, there isn't a way to mark the abandoned checkout as paid for a third-party gateway if the payment information wasn't received in Shopify by the third-party gateway. 

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
4 0 0

Hi Tira,

Thanks for the explanation.

I understand the Create a Draft Order scenario, thanks for that, looks like i have to do that all the time?

Ok, so Payfast is slow because Shopify didnt receive the relevant info in time, who do i pick this up with, Payfast? Because this is already upsetting customers, that they seeing an error but it still went through, yet the customer does not receive a Thank you page or confirmation mail.

You mention the following: go to Orders > Abandoned checkouts and click on the abandoned checkout, and scroll to History and click on Payment Event. But i dont see this at all, so please advise where i can see this, i get the following:

If i take the following, there are 2 orders that i did, the one at 12:31pm went through but showed an error as per the payfast screenshot, so where do i see History, payment event:

The other at 8:00 pm is the one that i abandoned at checkout, it says Sent in the Email column, but i didnt receive the email so where do i check this that it is firing the email?

abandoned checkout 1.JPG

The screenshot below is of my order at 1231 that did go through on Payfast, but says emails are not sent due to processing error...but there was actually

no processing error, its just that it was timed out, right? And Shopify did not receive the notification? How do i correct this, with payfast?

abandoned checkout 2.JPG

Then the screenshot below, which shows that i abandoned this, so i did not complete the purchase, but it says reminder email sent, i didnt receive this email, where do i see this mail to make sure its firing correctly?

abandoned checkout 3.JPG

Kind regards

Munier

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi  - just following up on my mail below pls?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
309 24 45

Thank you for your follow-up, @munier!

I'm happy to answer your questions here. 

You will need to create a draft order anytime an abandoned checkout is created as a result of the payment gateway not responding to Shopify right away. 

To see the History with the Payment Event for an Abandoned Checkout, you'll want to go into Orders > Abandoned checkouts and then click on the blue linked text with the checkout number for the abandoned cart that you wish to view. Once you're on the page, you can scroll down to the bottom and the History section will show with further details of whether a payment was accepted or declined. Please let me know if you can see this! If you're unable to, then I can take this up to our technical team to take a further look at your store. 

Which email address is the abandoned checkout email sending from? If it's the same email address as the one listed for the customer, then the email will not send out correctly. The Shopify Admin will show that an email was sent out, however it won't show that it has been opened or received. When a customer receives an abandoned checkout email, they will see their abandoned checkout link which they can click on. It will take them directly to the checkout page where they can continue with the checkout process to complete their purchase. 

Since PayFast is a third-party gateway and outside of Shopify, you would need to contact PayFast to ask for assistance with this, I recommend reaching out to them and letting them know that multiple customers have had an experience where their payment is rejected by the gateway, and that you are receiving the payment on PayFast, however no information of the payment being accepted is returning to Shopify. You can contact their support team here: PayFast Contact Page.

If you have any other questions, please reply back to this thread for assistance. I'm happy to help!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes