GDPR - Data Portability

25 0 0

Hi,

Not sure if this the right place in the forum to discuss GDPR but I couldn't find any existing discussions.

I have been keeping an eye on the guidance as it is published on GDPR and wondered if Shopify were ready to share their thoughts on how they will respond to the regulation to support European retailers, and international retailers who sell into Europe?

The main guidance so far is around data portability; I would be interested to know what retailers think this should look like for ecommerce stores on Shopify.

Guidelines on the Right to Data Portability: http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/image/document/2016-51/wp242_en_40852.pdf

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 3

Is there an update from this? would be interested to understand what measures Shopify can put in place to assist us.

Or just any advice in general!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

I spoke to the guys from Shopify at the TFM event in London on Wednesday. They've assured me that they are almost ready to share their plans and will be fully GDPR compliant. Apparently, a communication will be sent out to shop owners and partners in the next few weeks. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
11 0 0

I am working on developing a GDPR app for Shopify, for instance helping shop owners respond to data subject requests (requests to view, edit, delete or port personal data).  I would love to hear from shop owners who need this functionality or just want to learn more about how to be prepared for GDPR.  You can reach me at gdpr@handyjs.org

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 2

this was 6 months ago and I cannot find anything that says they have completed the steps they outlined here

https://help.shopify.com/manual/your-account/GDPR/GDPR-Shopify

What's next in Shopify's preparation for the GDPR?

Shopify is working to complete the following projects in preparation for the GDPR:

• We are creating informational materials about our data protection program for merchants who are looking to conduct due diligence and make sure that Shopify can support their data protection needs.
  • We are working on a more robust Cookie Policy to make sure that merchants have the information they need to get effective consent for us to place the cookies necessary to provide our platform.
  • We are preparing a detailed register of our data processing activities, as required by Article 30 of the GDPR.
  • We are working with our app developers to ensure that they provide merchants with detailed information about their data collection and usage practices, so that merchants can take the steps that are needed to remain compliant.
  • We are revising our Privacy Policies to include the disclosures required by the GDPR.
0 Likes
7 0 0

Hi,

I would recommend our app Easy GDPR which helps you to be GDPR compliant. It handles data portability too.

https://apps.shopify.com/easy-gdpr

And it's free!

Best,
Szabolcs

0 Likes
3 0 0

GDPR Buster is a Shopify GDPR app you can make your store trustworthy for EU customers and your business GDPR compliant with easy to use storefront consent message, it can display your consent message in multiple languages.

0 Likes