General questions - liquid objects and payment gateways

md_
4 0 0

Hey,
I'm trying to build a shop and I'm looking for some advice - I'd like to make sure I'm doing things correctly and that I don't have to worry about them later on. I know that it's probably easier to hire a Shopify Partner but I actually find it quite interesting and would like to do things on my own. I would appreciate any hints, here are my questions:

1. I would like to collect some extra information that don't really exist in the Shopify customer object - for example date of birth. I found an article online saying that the best option I have is to save all these details to customer notes - is that true? I was also thinking of using tags instead - does that make any sense? Do I have any other options?

2. I would like to send these extra details to my consumer data platform that I've integrated with. If my best option is really to use the customer notes, do I have a way to refer to that field? I didn't find it in the customer object information - I only found the tags there.

A side question - the consumer data platform I'm using is Segment - does anyone have any experience with configuring Shopify Source there and figuring out the details of the analytics.js snippet? If yes, and if you're willing to answer some questions about it, please let me know - I will contact you.

3. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the payment gateways - I cannot use Shopify Payments because my shop is in a country that's not on the list. I don't really get what's the point of the third-party providers vs alternative payment methods. What does this help me with? It's confusing because there are different providers on both lists - what's the difference? The Shopify documentation says that the alternative payment methods are to allow the customers to pay with something else than a credit card but when I look at the list of alternative payment providers most of them still offer the credit card payment. What am I missing?

4. When deciding on the payment gateway, is it important if I want to sell in one country or multiple countries? Obviously the list of available providers varies, depending on the country - I went through the Community and I found a post somewhere that what's important is where the shop originates. So assuming the shop is based in Poland but I also want to sell in Germany and France, is it enough to just pick a gateway that's available in Poland (but not necessarily in the other countries) or does the gateway need to exist in all three?

5. The gateway I'm potentially interested in exists on the alternative providers list, but not on the third-party providers. Can I set it up in a way that I will not actually have the third-party provider, but I will have the alternative one? Are there any issues with that?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
md_
4 0 0

Not sure if that's an accepted behaviour, but I wanted to follow up to check if maybe someone would have any hints for me. 

0 Likes