Geolocation Coded Into Site

2 0 0

Hello all, 

I am trying to move into international sales and beyond one market. Unfortunately, based off reviews I have read of some 3rd party currency converter apps, I do not feel comfortable downloading them. 

So because of that, I resorted to the other option.. coding it into my site. Problem with that is - you guessed it! I don't know how to code. I was wondering if anyone here has some knowledge and can help customers see a currency based on their geolocation and checkout in that currency. Of course, in the end, it would be converted to the currency in which I am capturing payments.

This is a move I am trying to make as I will be able to get into more markets, while also helping the consumer whereas they don't have to use a converter themselves to figure out the price and go through a hassle. They can enjoy buying in their currency, while I can enjoy capturing in mine :)

If anyone can help, please let me know!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
475 27 67

Hi, Dee.

That is great that you are thinking of branching to other international markets. 

In the end, you are right, you will be charging in your local currency. However, there are some apps that you may want to look into that will allow your store to show the local currency for your customers. 

The Multi-Currency App by Bold is wonderful for this. Your customers will be able to see what the price would be in their currency and then purchase the product in your currency. This just makes it easier for them to get a better idea of pricing. 

Another couple of apps to look into are: 
Multi-Currency Converter by Hexicon 
& Best Currency Converter

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further questions let us know. 

Dallas,
Social Care Guru

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hello Dallas! 

Thank for taking the time to read my concern and writing a response. As I stated before, I feel uncomfortable downloading the 3rd party apps. I have seen some experiences where upon deleting the app, code is still left on the site which corrupts/ruins your whole site. I simply do not have the knowledge  or time to remove the corrupt lines of coding.

Dee

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
475 27 67

Hey Dee. 

I completely understand your feeling of skepticism! These apps don't actually require any additional code added to your site. If you ever decided to not use the app you would just delete it from your apps and it will completely remove itself from your store. 

I hope this helps to alleviate your worries. 

Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
29 0 1

You could use javascript and then from there determine geolocation:

For instance, here is a REST endpoint

$.getJSON( '//ipinfo.io/json', function( data ) {
console.log( data.city + " " + data.postal);
});

0 Likes