Get Blog Post URL while Visibility = Hidden

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi All,

I looked everywhere and could not find a resolution to this (what seems like a simple) issue.  First, we create blog posts in advance and then schedule them with our Email marketing, Social Media (via Buffer), etc., prior to the blogs actually being published.  However, since we started using Shopify's blogging tool(s), we cannot see the actual URL of the blog post until it changes from "Hidden" to "Visible"... But, we want to know the URL well in advance.  Does anyone know of a way to get the URL prior to the blog post being in "visible" status? We have played around with making the blog post visible (to copy the URL) and then hiding it again, but are unclear if the blog post URL will change if we schedule the post, say, 10 days later.  If this workaround does work, great, but if the URL changes after making the post "hidden" again, we will end up sending 1,000's of people to 404 pages which is no bueno.

Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere - I spent hours looking, but couldn't find an answer.

Many thanks,

- Austin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
242 1 20

Hi Austin

That's a great question, and I don't think I've seen a guide for it, but let's make one. :)

Inside the shopify admin, when you're editing the blog you can find the article ID number. If you take a look at [this screenshot](http://take.ms/MnHhh) you'll see the ID number of the blog post URL in the admin. In this case 47579075

Just combine that with the name fo the post, in this case "My Great Post" using dashes for the spaces, and all lowercase.

The end result is

mydomain.com/blog-name/47579075-my-great-post

And that's how you can build the URL before you publish the post.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Shawn,

Wow, you're the man!  Thank you.  That is a huge help and makes total sense. 

Best,

Austin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
47 0 8

Hi there,

this doesn't seem to work in 2020. Any clues... ?

Thx, Tom

0 Likes