Getting Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi, recently I started getting undelivered mails that were supposed to sent to my own email address came back as undelivered. (These emails were supposed to be sent to my perosnal email address notfiying ,me about new orders)

Not all of them getting bounced back. Only some of them.

The email started with the below message:

------------

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<xxxxx@hotmail.com>: host hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.0.33]
    said: 451 4.7.650 The mail server [35.229.47.147] has been temporarily rate
    limited due to IP reputation. For e-mail delivery information, see
    https://postmaster.live.com (S3113)
    [HE1EUR01FT005.eop-EUR01.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to MAIL
    FROM command)

-------------------

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
490 69 86

Hi, @mo_kk,

Hank here from Shopify.

Thank you for reaching out about the issue you are having with your Hotmail email.

We’re seeing some spam folder placement or bounce back of emails with Microsoft due to some COVID19 related emails being sent through our platform. We are working diligently to address this issue and prevent further issues.

In the meantime, if your customers are experiencing similar issues, please encourage your [Hotmail/Outlook/MSN/etc.]** recipients to check their spam folders (“Junk Email Folder” for Microsoft users) for your emails and mark the emails as “It’s not junk”. If the mail is not in the spam folder, it’s possible that the email may be caught in a temporary processing delay, or has been deleted by Microsoft if the message is > 10 days old. This action of rescuing emails from the junk folder will significantly help Microsoft’s filtering algorithms learn that this is legitimate mail that should be placed in the inbox.

However, with your example, it looks like the email is being rejected from the Hotmail server. But as you mentioned, only some of them. So what I would advise doing is to reach out to them (Hotmail/Microsoft) directly with regard to the message you have.

While not a direct resolution for you, it is something that our Developer Team is working with Microsoft to remove our Sending IPs from their low reputation lists. That being said since this is a manual process I am unable to provide a time expectancy on when this problem will be resolved.

All the best, Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

There is another thread running about this 
https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Email-help-please/td-p/633899

@Hank this is a rather large problem. It's not going to spam, they are being rejected.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
490 69 86

Hi, yes we agree, it is certainly a big issue and one that we understand.

That thread originally was for a different issue with emails, but it is not related to the current issue I described above with Microsoft.

However, as I mentioned previously this issue is currently being worked on by both our developers and the developers with Microsoft, but as it stands we do not have a restore time, just it is one that is highly prioritized, and we are hopeful of a solution soon.

While I understand the frustration that you have, and I know that does not give you a resolution, I can only advise of the latest information we have. I appreciate your patience with this as we work towards getting a solution as soon as we possibly can.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

[TEMPORARY SOLUTION]

I posted it on other threads becasue we're all in this mess...

I've been struggling with this issue for good few days.

I causes loads and loads of people contacting our stores saying that they do not know if the order was received.

Some start to claim that we're scamming them - taking the money and not even sending order confirmation.

So I came up with a temporary solution.

I use Zapier to use a walkaround to send emails via a different server. Not Shopify.

That way I think hotmail is accepting emails as they are not coming grom shopify smtp or whatever.

I recorded a video here on what to do: https://funneljar.com/hotmail

This video explains what to do so you can do it yourself.

For all the people who are not too tech savvy, I have a paid solution too.

Hope this helps

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Hank, 

I'm still having this problem two weeks long. Customers are getting upset that they don't hear anything from us, but we are still sending emails and they're not delivered. This is really frustrating. Please is there a way to fix this quickly? Two weeks is really long. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
490 69 86

Hi, @IlhemAcoudad!

This issue was marked resolved as of June, 17, but if you are still receiving this issue, I would recommend that you add Shopify's SPF record to your domain DNS settings, to see if this helps you with this issue.

Let me know how you get on with this!

0 Likes