Getting many visits from Amazon ... Good or Bad?

Highlighted
Tourist
23 0 2

I seem to be getting lots of visits from Amazon recently, per my NS8 Visitor log.  They are originating from their data centers in Boardman, OR and Ashburn, VA.  Is this typical?  I don't sell on Amazon.  Why would they be crawling my site? 

BTW, the IP address is different with each visit.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
264 16 41

Hi Joe,

Definitely not Amazon the company doing it, probably one of their AWS customers are using their servers to crawl. Technically not illegal (check local state law, scanning ports for malicious intent can be illegal), but you may want to report those IP address if you find it abusive or not appropriate:

If you suspect that AWS resources are being used for abusive purposes, contact the AWS Abuse team using the Report Amazon EC2 Abuse form, or by contacting abuse@amazonaws.com.

Regards,

Sam

Custom Apps and Themes Support | hello@achieveapplabs.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
715 54 160

Amazon is a large server / cloud computing solution provider: https://aws.amazon.com.

Might just have apps / bots crawling your site.

Or, Amazon might be doing automated competitive research and looking to take over your niche (just kidding, kind of hah I hope not!)

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
My team also builds custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey Joe ,  the visitors are not Amazon .. I have done alot of research on this lately. I have a chat on my website and if I am logged in I can see IP address and landing pages. Long story short. 

I hired some web guys in India, which ended up stealing my product file and rerouting my customers, now they have 3 other web sites , they are located in India doing business in USA they pay no taxes, no licenses etc and drop ship from suppliers in USA , They continue to surf my site, I have blocked India with app Country Blocker , now they have purchased AWS IP addresses from Amazon. I try to block the IP individually from Boardman Oregon , however seems they will get another IP address quickly. Thanks alot Amazon ! way to help us USA businesses !!

I am looking for a solution to block Amazon AWS immediately. 

I will even consider blocking Oregon with a message on the block notification to call me direct if they are a legit customer 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
264 16 41

@Deb20 We have a custom app that uses Google Maps to check the zip code before proceeding to checkout. Would that help you?

regards,

Sam - Owner

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
23 0 2

Be careful !   I used a redirect app in the App store, and it caused Google to disable all my Ads - stating that the Destination URL was not the same as the Final URL in my Ads.

The app caused the user to go to another URL, and Google didn't like it one bit.

I will only sell in the US, so I'm not worried about someone cloning my site in India, etc.  However, I would like to see Shopify provide a native mechanism for store owners to control access to their sites via referrer, IPs, etc. without "offending" Google.

Joe

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
NO I need to block Amazon AWP customers ,, from Boardman Oregon from even
getting on my site

This is a huge problem for many USA web retailers ,,
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Joe , I have used country blocker to block India, The problem is the
Indians can buy WEB service from Amazon AWP and look like they are in USA
/ If you have a chat that captures IP address , it looks like most of
these international customers using Amazon web service come from Boardman
Oregon. I just want these guys to be blocked from my site on the front
end.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
23 0 2

I found this app:

https://apps.shopify.com/cozy-country-redirect which says that it won't hurt Google Ads.

Not sure if you can specify down to the actual city, state.  I do know that Shopify collects that information when a visitor comes to the site.

Joe

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
264 16 41

With out app Shop Restrictions you could input any "place" that Google Maps accepts and add a radius like within 100KMs.

0 Likes