Gift Cards

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0
Hi, does anyone know how you can send a Gift Card to a recipient? Whilst a useful marketing tool, not good if you can’t send directly to someone? Forwarding doesn’t look professional.
Thanks
Helen
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
269 23 39

Hey, @Helen_P!

Ash here from the Shopify team.

This is a great point, and when using the native Shopify Gift Card feature, it's absolutely possible to send a Gift Card directly to a recipient! When creating a Gift Card in the admin, you'll first head over to your Products> Gift Cards section, and then click "Issue Gift Card" which will be on the top right of the screen. Here's a screenshot to show what I'm referring to: 

20-04-r65v4-evibd.png

Once you click "Issue Gift Card", you'll be able to start filling in the details for the Gift Card, such as the Gift Card code, the initial value, the expiry date, a note for the recipient, and a customer. If you select a customer, then when you issue the Gift Card, the code will be delivered directly to them using the contact information on their customer profile, such as email or sms. If the recipient is not yet a customer on your store, then you can create a customer profile for them first, and then issue the Gift Card directly to them. Here is some more information in our Help Center on managing customers, including information on how to add a new customer. 

Here is some more information regarding selling and managing Gift Cards on Shopify as well. There's a bunch of great information to reference in there, but you can also reach out to our team with any specific questions you may have! Have you already issued any Gift Cards, or is this something new you're just starting to offer? I hope the above information is helpful!

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
81 2 8

Hi @Helen_P, I'm Neomi from Rise.ai app,

We specialize in Gift Cards and Loyalty programs.

Using Rise Gift Card solution your customers can easily send their gift cards to the recipient and schedule it to the perfect time.

you can also fully customize your gift cards and the email so it will fully match your brand.

Here is an example of one of my favorite brands using Rise.ai gift card solution:

Annotation 2020-04-08 105908.jpg

Check out our listing page, and feel free to contact me at indo@rise.ai

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi Ash

Thanks for your detailed reply however I would like the purchaser to be able to add a recipient not me. 

There isn't currently the option to add an email, it needs to be forwarded by the purchaser?

Thanks

Helen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
269 23 39

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Helen_P!

My pleasure, I'm happy to help out. Thank you for getting back to me with your clarification. At this time, there is no native option to have a customer send a gift card directly to the recipient. I've expressed your desire for this feature to our developers though, and we take feature requests into consideration when making platform updates. I can't make any guarantees that this will be added, but the more we see a request, the more likely we are to see it implemented in the future. We definitely appreciate the feedback. That being said, there are some apps you can check out which can accommodate this feature! 

As @Neomi_av mentioned, an app like Rise: Gift Card and Loyalty enables buyers to send gift cards directly to recipients. A couple other gift card apps that can accommodate this feature are: 

I hope this information helps, and feel free to let us know if there's anything else you need assistance with. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 5

I absolutely agree that this needs to be fixed, it's actually a silly idea that the gift card goes to the person who has bought it - people don't buy gift cards to themselves! Once the buyer gets it, he has to send it to the person he wants to give it to, and somehow you have to explain this to your customers before the purchase. Doesn't make it very desirable to customers, they have to do extra stuff meaning it's more difficult to sell them. I think this is really important and kind of basic function. Hope you could get this sorted soon, I'm sure this is something that all store owners would appreciate, thanks :)

5 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi, Along the same lines...

Can I sell my plastic, gift cards that I own? I do not have Shopify POS or Shopify issued gift cards.

Do I just put the number of the gift card that I have? 

Thanks!

Molly

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 2

This answer is for issuing cards directly to a customer. How do customers, at checkout, enter the gift card recipient and a note to the recipient? You can do this on almost any site. As the OP said, it's not very professional to forward an email on, and that's the only option right now available for checkout. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Totally agree that this should be an option through Shopify.

I keep having to explain to purchasers that they have to forward the gift card to recipient.

I've looked into the rise app and it is just not worth paying if I only want the gift card option.

Please make this a thing Shopify!

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 2

I'd like to make a request for this too! In the current world of retail...online shopping and gift cards are super important. I really would prefer to not have to pay for an additional APP. I've already got so many loaded for what I would think would be part of the system. And it really makes the system more complicated. Already, many of my products and variants do not integrate with my POS because I used an app for better variant options.- UGH.

Seems like this should be a basic feature and much more robust. Please improve upon it ASAP. Thank you!!

1 Like