Gmail Customers Notifications Going to SPAM Folder

Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

So I've been getting a lot of messages lately from customers who are saying they never received an order confirmation, shipping confirmation, or any of the basic transactional emails. I suggest that they check their SPAM folder, and that is, invariably, where they find it. It has been happening over a long enough period of time now that I sat down to see if there is a pattern, and there is: They are all Gmail users.

For some reason, all my transactional emails for Gmail users are going to SPAM. And I have no idea why. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, or has and knows of a way to fix it? I am not using any third party apps (tho I want to start using Spently, I won't subscribe until I can figure this out). My emails are all just using the basic Shopify template (with a bit of branded text thrown in, just rewording some of the default text - no extra links or images or anything). 

What gives?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

Yup we've had similar issues with people not getting shipping confirmation emails. From what we can tell (based on people who actually email complaining about not getting them) it's about 1 in 20. But not sure if the issue is only gmail or not, many of the email addresses themselves aren't @gmail but they might still be using it as their reader.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
242 1 20

Hello Austin and Kyle

For repeat customers, having them add your email address, for example orders@mycoolstore.com to their contacts list will prevent it from going to SPAM.

Other than that, maybe displaying a message on the cart, or thank you page to add that email to their contacts list or it may go to the SPAM folder.  Learn about customizing the thank you page in this guide.

https://docs.shopify.com/manual/configuration/store-customization/page-specific/checkout-page/thanky...

-Shawn R.
Shopify Guru
Contact Support - http://docs.shopify.com/support

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 5

that is a highly unprofessional suggestion.
order confirmations should never end up in spam to begin with - as the customer clearly wants this email!

Highlighted
Explorer
52 1 16
I agree with you. Migrating from my vps I wanted to simplify my life but things like this are making more work than before. Also requests send by mail from my backend to customers end up in commercial folder or spam.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2

Hey,

In 2020, it's still a problem...

Do you have any suggestions? I'm also a gmail user, and I've updated my FAQ section, as well as the checkout pages to let them know that they have to open the spam folder, too.

Do you think a better SEO could help?

Regards,

David

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1 0 2

If you are using a custom domain, you need to add Shopify's SPF record to your domain host will correct the issue in most cases. To verify your customer email address, you need to add the following SPF record to your TXT record in your custom domain settings:v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all. *Doing this can help prevent your emails from being flagged as spam or from failing to be delivered:*
**Steps:**
1. Log in to your **domain hosting account**.

2. Find your domain's **TXT record**. This usually appears beside the **CNAME record and MX record.**

3. Add the following **SPF record to your TXT record**: ***v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all**

4. **Save** your changes.

here is a [help doc about it](https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/intro-to-shopify/initial-setup/setup-your-email

Highlighted
1 0 0

I added the SPF to my domain and still no luck. Is there another option to not have order confirmations go into a customer's spam/ junk folder?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

The DNS record addition/adjustment can sometimes take anywhere from a few seconds to a few days to take effect. If your confirmation emails are still ending up in customer SPAM/Junk Folders 2 days after making the DNS entry/adjustment, then it's safe to say the DNS entry in not the solution to your problem, 

Keep us fellow users updated on your efforts to resolve the issue - others are experiencing similar issues.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I followed the directions for this, and my TXT settings require a host. I don't know what to put in the host field.

I am a little confused about this- If I update my TXT record with this snippet, does that mean I can use Gmail without the spam folder issue my customers are reporting?

0 Likes