Going broke on ads! Low traffic, No sales

John30
10 0 0

Congratulations Renee !!

We are rooting for you !..(-:

0 Likes
John30
10 0 0

Great advice Robert! Thank you for taking the time to help!!  Do you still do consulting? If so where is your contact information please...(-:

0 Likes
Renee2
Excursionist
14 0 8

Clif i totally understand! I'm in the same boat! I work a full time job and I want to make this my full time thing. 

This is my first ecommerce store. Been researching drop shipping and products for several months. Launched my store Sept 8th and felt frustrated with no sales. Robert's suggestions were amazing along with a manual Facebook ad rather than using the KIT app. 

Thanks John! It was a journey to get that first sale and I'm happy to see results. :) 

Cheers!

Renee

0 Likes
Robert_Seal
Explorer
46 0 19

@Renee - Now that I am on my laptop I can take a closer look. As stated yesterday evening it looks a lot better and your new found traffic and first sale are hopefully evidence of that. The following are things I would still consider looking into.

Home Page

While the slideshow is now clickable it's also extremely large. I have a decent size screen on this PC and I am forced to scroll down just to see the slider image, I would look at resizing the desktop version of this. 

As stated last night I would look into trading that 20% discount on your home page for an email or at the very least a social follow IF you're active on social media and promote that way as well. Otherwise, make users sign-up to your email newsletter in exchange for the discount. 

Remove the "Log In" and "Create an Acccount" option from your main menu unless you honestly believe people are going to register on your website outside of the checkout process. If you have nothing to offer them pre-check for being a member then don't waste the space and avoid raising concerns - people don't like being forced to register for anything and are equally they're afraid of missing out on things by not - don't make their shopping experience stressful for no good reason.

Your category images aren't all the same size. This is not a  big issue but drives OCD people like me nuts. 

Your newsletter signup at the bottom of the page may as well not be there as it is currently. Why would a user put their email in that box and submit? There's no reason to, you haven't give them one. I'm not sure if I wasn't super familiar with websites that I'd even know what that was there for. 

Collections Page

Because your navigation just says "Shop" it isn't clear that this is a page of collections and not just a list of all your products. I would do two things immediately on this page.

1.) I would change the "Shop" navigation to something more descriptive of what you're showing them. Maybe even make two that say "View All Products" and "View Our Collections". They don't need to say that verbatim but you get the idea. 

2.) I happen to like your collection page but another reason it's difficult to tell apart from just an "All Products" page is the not-so-clear "View More" link (I realize it doesn't say that but you get the idea) under each section. This needs to be more visible either as a horizontal banner or through better typography but right now it's completely lost amongst everything else. 

Other Pages

On your FAQ page you mention that you ship internationally but that's it. Does that mean to ALL countries? Are there customs restrictions anywhere for your products? Are there concerns that you can reassure them of for international orders? 

Make the email on your FAQ page a link to your contact page. Don't make customers take any more manual action than is absolutely necessary to get in touch with you. Outstanding customer service sells better than any Facebook ad. 

Contact page is dry and cold. You offer customers a method of contacting you but don't seem overly interested in what they have to say. Invested! You don't see very invested in why they're on your contact page, usually this is because you've failed to clarify something on another page or they have concerns about placing an order. 

Conclusion

Great improvements and very happy to hear about the traffic boost and first sale! Moving forward just keep asking yourself how you can make it easier for your customers to purchase your products. Compare your store to competitors and figure out why they're selling and you're not then improve on those things, when you've done that do it again, rinse and repeat. 

0 Likes
Robert_Seal
Explorer
46 0 19

@John - My email is minolwen@gmail.com, feel free to email me there. 

@Laurance  - Before going page by page I'll say the following:

1.) Your website is difficult to read. The black background with pure white font makes it difficult on the eyes to read for most screens, think of all the very successful websites that you know of and ask yourself how many have black backgrounds - change the color theme.

2.) Your website is confusing. Unless you're specifically targeting people that already know what IWB and OWB stands for then you're leaving your potential customers in the dark. There's no clear indication of what you offer on the home page, nothing that says "this is who we are". Yes, there's a story on the home page but it's so long that no one is going to read it - it's more fitting for an about page than home page. 

3.) Look at your title tags and give them a lot of thought. It is very unlikely that anyone is going to Google "Cold War Concealment Holsters", use Google Keyword Planner and Google Trends to find out what people looking for your type of holsters is typing in Google to find them. 

4.) Link the emails to a contact page, stop making people use extra effort to get in touch with you. Why does everyone feel like this is ok?????

5.) Stuff?  I hope this was intended to be funny. 

6.) Are all of your shirts branded?  I only looked at a few of the mens shirts but why would I pay $23 to advertise for you?  I'm not against branding shirts but I'd sell those for less and also offer non-branded designs. 

7.) The blog is an incredible help to SEO so long as your posts are informative and easy to read. What is your interaction rate on your blog (comments, feedback, etc.)?  If not so good remember to change the color scheme first and then consider writing posts for a broader audience.

Your website is currently very reminiscent of the Cold War - cold and dry. Maybe this was the point but I would advise against it. As with all sites, find some direct competitors and figure out what they're doing better than you are. 

Laurance_Messic
15 0 0

Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me -- but I appreciate the honesty!!  Thank you very much for taking the time to give me that much needed and appreciated feedback!!  

After I make a bunch of changes, may I e-mail you for a second look?

Respectfully, Laurance Messick

0 Likes
John30
10 0 0

Thank you Robert!...(-:

0 Likes
Laurance_Messic
15 0 0

@ Renee, Robert gave me some brutal (and much needed) advice also.  When you have your friends and family check this kind of stuff, they really don't help much hahaha

I'm in the process of working on the changes he suggested for me, and I'm confident it will make my page stronger.  I also need to get back at the keyboard and write some more blogs, I'm starting to understand how they help drive traffic to the page.

In the meantime, I'm in cue for Shopify live chat to figure out how to tweak a couple small things -- I love the live chat!!  Good luck to you!!  

0 Likes
Renee2
Excursionist
14 0 8

Hi Laurence!

I'm happy you got good feedback. Would love to hear your progress. 

Since i stopped all my ads i dropped dramatically in visits to my store; however, since i do have Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel i have great quality information on age groups/demographics so I am going to do some test ads with that information. I'm still trying to figure out what caused the large spike in visits to my site so i can duplicate it. 

I eventually have to do a blog; but, it's difficult to keep up with a full time job. If you have tips for a first time blogger I am totally open to information. 

Good Luck! ?

0 Likes
Laurance_Messic
15 0 0

Renee, I've enjoyed writing my blogs.  What I have learned is you have to put relevant words in your blog so it is easier for people to find.  One of the suggestions that Robert had given me was to use Google Key Words Planner -- that is the one thing maybe I had already done correctly.  I guess you could consider it a thesaurus for words relevant to your blog, the demographic you are trying to capture the attention of, or your product.

The other thing that I am doing that doesnt' cost anything is using a Facebook page.  I've posted links to my blog, memes, photos of my work, photos I've gotten from happy customers, mostly things relevant to what I'm selling.  Every now and then I put up a picture of my cat, or my dog, something just to keep it different.  Lastly, I have used Facebook as a platform to try to use video.  It got a ton of hit (that is one that I paid money to push) and a ton of traffic to my page.  The video is also on my page as a "video blog".  That is the first thing I will try again once I get my page fixed up. One company that has ads that I see on my Facebook page is called Black Rifle Coffee Company.  Their video ads are often hilarious.  Since I'm a one man show currently, I couldn't even hope to do something like that, but I'm sure it gets them a ton of traffic

2 other ideas that may work for you.  I've gotten some results from running ads on Craigslist.  Kind of a pain because you have to work on it to keep it up top, but it is free.  The other idea you might be able to capitalize on is I have done some local "craft fair" and "shop local" type events.  I don't do these to sell my product per se, but to create awareness that my company exists.  Since I hand craft my holsters to order, there are far too many variables for me to really expect to have direct sales there so I basically explain to people that "these are samples of my work, I make them to order exactly the way you want them, ect.

To differentiate, and gauge results, I offer different coupon codes for different venues, so I would know what was gettign me results.  Problem is, I haven't gotten any sales from anyone other than friends, family, co-workers, and people directly connected to those folks.  

I don't know what your page looked like before, but I just spent a few minutes looking at it this moring and it looks clean and fresh.  I like you logo.  May I ask what "theme" you are using?  Mine needs a bunch of work still, but I've looked at a bunch of the "big guys" and made a list of what I need to do.  I really need to get a real camera and work on my pictures too.  Gahh!!  Not enough time in the day!!

0 Likes