Going on vacation -- how do you handle it?

Highlighted
4 0 0

I'm a one-person business owner and I'm planning to be away for about 9 days in the near future. Is there a way to let customers know that they can place orders but that they won't be fulfilled until I get back? I'm not looking to shut the door to my shop for that long and I can't imagine being able to find a reliable person who could learn and manage my business for just 9 days.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 51

Hi, Dawn. 
My name is Morgan I am part of the Social Media team at Shopify. 

Great questions- I actually just went through this myself, and was weighing my options! Here's the options I came up with for my own store: 

1. Add a banner to store which states orders are on hold until __ date. This way it is one of the first things customers see but still allows them to shop. 

CON: May reduce trust with customers as they might wonder why orders cant be fulfilled/long wait times ect. 

2. Similar to the first, but more likely a customer will see it/trust it. Use the subscription pop up to say "we are away from our shop currently, leave your email to be notified when we are fulfilling orders. Feel free to shop in the meantime though!" Or something like that. This may keep trust with your customers knowing they can leave their email and you will follow up with them when you're on it. It also ensures they see it, as it will pop up at them while they are shopping. 

3. Lastly, the option to password protect the site while you are away. This does mean customers cannot purchase. However, will keep from long wait times. Most themes will allow you to leave a message saying you are away temporarily and to leave an email on that landing page. This could be a way to retain those customers, without the stress of fulfilling their orders late, or while you are away. 

Adding the password page can be done under Online Store> Preferences> Enable password page.

These options should give you something to think about! Hopefully you aren't stuck with giving a friend a fulfillment101 crash course before you leave! 

Have a great vacation. ☀️

Cheers,
Morgan F 

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

Morgan, I love your #2 idea -- something I hadn't thought of at all! Is there a way to remind customers one more time, after they've purchased, that there will be a delay in shipping? Like a second pop-up that says "Thanks for ordering! Your package will be shipped on May 12th when Cat in the Box returns from vacation!" Or, is there a way to modify the email that Shopify says to add this information in again as a reminder?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 51

Hi, Dawn.

Glad you liked that idea, that's what I decided to go with as well during my vacation.  

In terms of a second reminder, you can add this in the "additional script" section of the checkout. This can be edited under Settings>Checkout> Additional script which will show up on the order status page. 

Other than this, you could edit one of the customer notifications which can be found under Settings> Notifications. If you choose this option I recommend the "Order Confirmation" template as the one to add it to. You will simply copy and paste the text into the template, and press "preview" to ensure it's where you want it to be!

Hope this finds you well and have an amazing vacation! 

Cheers,
Morgan F 

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Shopify wrote a good post on this recently. I suggest you read it:

You Need a Vacation: How to Take Time Off Without Losing Momentum or Sales

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thank you both for your suggestions! Morgan, I ended up taking both of your ideas: using the subscription box to alert customers that while they could place an order it wouldn't be fulfilled until I returned from vacation, and also altering the order confirmation email to remind customers what they agreed to. Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 4

What is the subscription pop up that you are referring to?

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Vacation is a very important part of the year. Everyone needs to rest at least once a year for 2-4 weeks in a place where there will be no work, but only peace. True, because of the quarantine, most likely this year it will no longer be possible to take a normal vacation. Well, at least going on vacation to another country will definitely not work out normally. Perhaps you can take a vacation and just spend time with your family at home. What do you think about quarantine and are you planning to go somewhere on vacation at this time? You can always find a good place like wedding party Charleston if you really want to have some vacation. Because all a human needs to rest is just a calm place.

0 Likes