Google Maps: "Error looking up that address"

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 2 2

Debut theme.   Brand new store, still offline.  

As far as I can tell I have done all of the steps in creating the API key.  I paste it into the Map section of the Debut theme and get that message in the body of the web page.  It's a good address, Google can find it, but not using this method.  

Thanks in advance

Ed K

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9981 85 1493

Without seeing it live or getting more insights into what is being sent to google it will be hard to offer much help. Are you able to share a link to the page with the map?

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Excursionist
13 2 2

I started a test page not linked to my paid account, and same results.  

the theme is pretty simple.  I think it is a Google configuration issue, but I have done everything I am supposed to do.  I have tried to add a service account to the Google but it's not working.  for what it's worth the info I got from Google is:  

API key: ** removed **

viewer access to the API account: traditionalartstoday@rising-hallway-234719.iam.gserviceaccount.com

I don't know how to use that.  

I have tried searching for the phrase "Error looking up that address" and have not had any good luck finding others with this problem.  

I also can't figure out a way to add a Shopify staff account to the account without having an email address for the account holder, so I can't give you that without your email.  

I am at a loss.  any other ideas about what to do or where to look for answers?  

thanks

Ed K

0 Likes

Success.

Excursionist
13 2 2

A Shopify tech and I spent an hour and could not solve it.  A ticket to Google  got a response and showed the answer.  

When setting up the Google cloud account, you must enable the maps javascript API AND the Geocoding API (that's what looks up the address).  The API was getting requests but would not respond.  The Google tech could see that and let me know.  Enable Geocoding, works now. 

Either I misconfigured the APIs when I started the google account (very possible) or the Shopify documentation left that detail out.  

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes
1 0 0

This helped me, thank you!  Shopify: Please add this to your documentation!

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2295 153 316

Hi everyone, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Thanks for the update @edk. Great to hear you got it sorted out and thanks for providing how you got there. @Weblius I'll be sure to let the help document team know about this also. 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi,

Even after enabling Geocoging API and Java Script API, my map still cannot load. Is there a way to solve it?

Thanks,

Maria

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2295 153 316

Hi @mariagogoleva,

I spoke to our theme support team about this. They mentioned that even though you have already entered an API key, you will have to regenerate a new one in order to potentially fix this issue. As this involves access to your own private Google account, it is not something that we can do for you, however, there are some steps you need to take for this. Let's take a look at them below:

1. You will need to generate the API key from here

2. Select Get A Key.

22_-13-k48pt-mqnlq

3. Select or create a project (ie Maps) and then select Enable API (this will not enable until a project is selected)
22_-13-jtpq7-p5rkt

4. Then copy the API key by selecting the copy button
07-11-s0gx9-owrrl

5. Paste this key into the Maps section and select Save
22_-45-viupf-pn4la

6. Have the key unrestricted to make sure it works
22_-58-tflgc-t7eq2

It is important to view the storefront itself as the theme editor may not show the same information. Currently, the theme editor shows the map but viewing on the storefront shows an error

Can you try this and let me know if it works for you please? 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your information! Unfortunately, it still doesn't work for me.

It is important to view the storefront itself as the theme editor may not show the same information. Currently, the theme editor shows the map but viewing on the storefront shows an error - what do you mean by that?

After generating a new API key, Shopify still cannot locate my store. It is a big issue because it is affecting our shipping rates. Please let me know how can I fix it. The link to my store is shop.quantumebikes.com.

Thanks,

Maria Gogoleva

0 Likes
4 0 0

Capture.PNGThis is a big issue

0 Likes