[HELP!] How to approve customer accounts?

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi,

My client want to be able to approve customers that register. So when the customer registers, they remain unable to purchase anything until my client has approved them.

I know there's an app called Locksmith that controls user accounts and what they can view, but my client is trying to be budget friendly (as usual!)

Any help would be great.

//James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1902 37 231

Hi james,

Please check the link below

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussion/t/approving-customer-accounts-upon-creation-28669...

https://apps.shopify.com/alidropship
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
498 9 96

You don't need the locksmith app to lock down site content to certain customer groups - defined by a tag, "approved" for example, on the customer. You just need to modify the templates that contain content you want "locked down" to include a simple conditional statement.

{% if customer and customer.tags contains 'approved' %}
  ... output content
{% else %}
  ... output 'Access Denied' message
{% endif %}

People can then sign up for a customer account as normal, but not be able to see your controlled content until you tag their account with 'approved'.

You'll probably want to be notified when a new customer signs up, so you'll need an app to set up an email automation rule to do that. Here's a couple:

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Thanks for this little gem. I had a similar question but have now added a link to here as an added bonus. Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi,

I am new to all of this stuff and I tried applying that condition to the cart area to test it by copying and pasting the conditional statement in the cart.liquid template and it did not block the page and only displayed the "Access Denied" message at the bottom. what do I need to at to the condition toblock the content of the page?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Hi, I'd like to help but I don't know enough to debug for you, I'm just good at following others instructions - standing on the back of giants and all that. My efforts was just to hide prices from the general public and only show too logged in customers. If you click on my name you can find all my posts / comments and look at the code I was given, maybe you'll find what you need.

Goodluck

Darren

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi @gina-gregory 

I tried using that code but it did not block the page. what do I need to at to the condition to block the content of the page?

Thanks for your advice

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi 

Did you find a solution to this problem? If so can you please share how you did it. Thank you. 

Saad

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Thank you @gina-gregory that worked perfectly! 

We do wholesale and needed to block customers from purchasing before being approved on shopify. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

@gina-gregory A bit confused on which templates to modify. 

I want to lock the whole site until its approved. Where would I enter that? 

0 Likes