HELP: Unable to close store after pausing

unasir
4 0 0

Hi guys,

My account has been on pause for almost 3 months, and I want to close my store so I don't get moved to the $9 a month pause+build plan. I'm unable to go to the admin setting as shopify directs me to the pricing page every time, I've even tried clicking on the "remove online store" button on the page, which brings me back tot he same page.

I'm also unable to access online chat or email, as it doesn't let me log in as my store.

Any guidance?

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Hi, @unasir,

Hank here from Shopify.

When you are pausing your store, you are given two options to do so. The pause and build, or the full pause plan. With the former, you are able to access the admin to make any additional changes needed to your store, whilst the checkout is disabled.

The latter which is the option you have described is more for the times when you just need to step away from the store and not worry about the day to day running of it, etc. As this essentially closes the store, it removes the access to the admin and there is no charge for this plan. So what you are seeing when trying to select a plan, is a known feature as you would need to access the admin once again. 

Being unable to access the admin would be why the option to remove the store would not be available. As once you have access to the admin, you could then proceed to close your store. This can be done if you are moved to the pause and build plan, or if you select a paid plan from the plan screen you are shown. Then once your store is closed, you may be able to receive a refund of the monthly subscription by reaching out to the team, which I will detail below.

With regard to contacting the live support team, sorry to hear you have run into an issue and are unable to access the team. The team can be reached here, and to further assist you with the navigation, I have made you this short video showing how to reach the team without logging in, which I will share with you

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
mjeffords1
1 0 0

@Hank 

Exact same issue here. I paused my store, have decided to close it and of course Im not able to. Why have a visible clickable "close store" button on the page that tells you your store is paused if its just going to redirect you back to the same page? More importantly you're telling us we cant actually cancel our accounts unless we signup again, pay up front and then after we can request a refund. Thats unacceptable, especially since we're not told anywhere prior to pausing our accounts that we cant decide to cancel after doing so without paying again.

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Thanks for reaching out about this, @mjeffords1.

So just to confirm, you are able to log into your store? So you would be on the pause and build plan, is it?

The issue with closing your store and how they react with the pause plans is simple, you need to be able to access your admin to be able to close your store. So if your store is fully closed, then yes, you would need to reopen your store (pay upfront), and then requesting a refund. This is because once you pay for a paid plan, you have access to the checkout area and are able to start selling once more. There is more information on this here.

With regard to your issue, can you try opening your admin using incognito mode to see if you can close your store? If it does, then can you try clearing your cache?

Let me know how you get on.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes