HS Code - Correct Shopify Format for use with Click n Drop

Max1957
Excursionist
12 0 8

Since entering my products just over a month ago Shopify seems to have changed the way they are handled.  Back in March it would only accept 6 digits whereas the EU requires 8.  Now, it accepts more digits and adds a . between sections eg 1234.56.78 - but this is only when entering a new product.  When editing the number using bulk editor it doesnt add the . between numbers.  Can someone advise what is the correct format for working with Royal Mail Click & Drop as for some reason Click & Drop isnt importing the Country of Origin or HS codes at the moment.  Any help appreciated

0 Likes
JoeJE
1 0 0

Hey Max,

Firstly the format doesn't really matter to my knowledge as long as there are enough digits, we've been sending to the EU with as much or as little info as we can input. Bulk editor will accept full HS codes in any format.

Click & Drop's shopift API does not currently support importing HS codes or Country of Origin from Shopify automatically. I've spoken to Royal Mail's tech support team repeatedly since January, and they are working on updating this for all 3rd party platforms like Shopify, but there is no date for launch of this functionality.  Not very helpful considering Brexit was 4 months ago. Royal Mail suggests updating their product database (held in click and drop) to add HS codes... but this isn't feasible for us due to the volume of new products and variants we have per month and a back catalog of thousands of garments.

We use DHL's standard shipping API and this imports HS codes (in any format) and country of Origin just fine. So it is definitely a Click & Drop limitation.

You can't even import into Click & Drop manually Using Shopify's 'export' function on the orders page, gives me a CSV that has product name, price etc. but this CSV does not include the HS codes or Country of origin.

Right now we're having to  manually add this at the point of generating shipping labels. It's incredibly frustrating and time consuming. We are researching 3rd party shipping plugins that can output a CSV with all required shipping fields, but I have been unable to find anything that clearly says it handles customs info.

I'd also appreciate any solutions or recommended shipping apps!

0 Likes
Max1957
Excursionist
12 0 8

Joe,

Many thanks.  It appears that Shopify has changed their thinking on HS codes and is opting for the 1234.56 or 1234.56.78 approach as the . is added automatically when adding the HS code for a new product. 

After much Google searching and headscratching I use Order Printer Pro from FORSBERG to print Invoice/Dispatch notes that include the HS Code and Country of Origin - they did a tweak for me to their standard template file to extract HS Code and Country of Origin from Shopify product data, so it is exportable, just not easily.  

I wish both Shopify and Click & Drop would let people know what they intend changing, when and why, to give everyone a heads up.  There is no mention that I can see in the Shopify change log regarding the HS codes change....