Solved

Why are my product handles not matching titles after duplication?

richlewt
Tourist
7 1 2

Hi

I have been busy adding many items to my store using the shopify interface. Often, for a similar product I would use the Duplicate function, change maybe a price and a few other details.  When duplicating the page, the words Copy Of .....  would appear infant of the original page Title, I would remove the Copy Of... and save the page.

I have just downloaded (for the first time) the CSV file of my entire store to find that hardly any of the Handles match Titles, most have the words Copy-Of- included and some of the products titles are very different from the handles.

I have contacted support but they can offer no real help except for correcting them manually (2200 items!!!) using the online editor. Anyone got any good ideas as to how rectify this issue. If it helps, the store has not gone live so presume it hasn't been picked up by the search engines. If it has, I guess we are into redirect issues as well.

I cant believe the online editor allows you to copy it , if it cant add the correct new saved title to the new handle. Example below

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 13.17.11.png

Accepted Solution (1)

richlewt
Tourist
7 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Well I may have found a solution. I noted that if you click in the Edit Website SEO box and delete out the old url Handle, Shopify will generate the new Handle which matches the Title along with url redirect. This was going to be a bit tedious as I had 2000+ items to sort.

So I downloaded the App, Matrixify which allows you to edit in bulk using excel. I then simply deleted out the Handle fields and uploaded the file back. There is a setting to make during upload within the App to generate the redirect url.

This worked a treat and we are now all squeaky clean. Hope this helps someone 🙂

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

richlewt
Tourist
7 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Well I may have found a solution. I noted that if you click in the Edit Website SEO box and delete out the old url Handle, Shopify will generate the new Handle which matches the Title along with url redirect. This was going to be a bit tedious as I had 2000+ items to sort.

So I downloaded the App, Matrixify which allows you to edit in bulk using excel. I then simply deleted out the Handle fields and uploaded the file back. There is a setting to make during upload within the App to generate the redirect url.

This worked a treat and we are now all squeaky clean. Hope this helps someone 🙂

VmA
Excursionist
17 0 5

I can see you are using google sheets. If you selected the column press