Handling container deposits with bundled products

Highlighted
3 0 3

Hi we need to show separately the price of a product\variant and the deposit associated to it. A simple solution could be when someone adds a product\variant to the cart which has deposit to it another product would be added to it representing the deposit. With this in the bill there will be a separate line item for deposit. 

An example, we sell apple juice in a glass container. When someone would buy this would add it to the cart and immediately there would be another item on the cart called bottle deposit.

Is this something that is possible to do? And when it is, how? Is there any application helping German stores with deposit systems to comply with the requirement to show the price of the deposit separately from the product price?

We were thinking to you bundled products, but it seems there it is not possible to create mandatory bundles, so that when something is put in the cart another product is added too.

Many thanks!

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2151 102 306

This is a common enough customization and works you just submit this extra deposit-product with an ajax call then submit the full product. Or you can even do a check in your cart.liquid to make sure the deposite "product" is there in the right amounts.

Mandatory bundles are just products  with 1 final price, just use a seperate piece of logic to show the INCLUDED deposit price.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 3

Hi thank you, our goal is to show separately the deposits from the products in the cart and on the bill. So when someone adds a product to the cart, another deposit item is added there too. (this item may be hidden in the store, so you cannot really buy it.)

I am not familiar with ajax calls. Where and how could we add this piece of code, and what piece of code? The deposit price is different depending on the container, could we handle that too? (I guess using tags or rather metafields for variants)

Checking the cart before going checkout makes complete sense, users should not be able to remove the deposit items.

Thank you,

Tamas

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 2

Hi, 

We are having the same issue. Is there a solution? Code examples would be good. The bottle deposit is not taxable, and it shouldn't show as an optional product. We need to do this in order to have a correct invoice with the correct VAT on the confirmation separat from the bottle deposit. 

Any help would be appreciated 

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Please elaborate on which code to put and where.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I have the exact same need. When customer buys a bottle of wine, Shopify adds two things to the cart: the price of the bottle of wine including tax, and the bottle deposit which is not taxable. Need to make it so that the customer can't delete the deposit as it's mandatory. I would *love* a solution to this. Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

So, is there a solution to this issue? It would seem like a simple enough issue to deal with. Yes?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
We hired BentoSMB to custom code this one for us. We’re still working through the implementation.
0 Likes