Have a dropship supplier that uses UPS as their carrier. Can't setup shipping. Help?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

I just need a shipping calculator right? I'm not sending anything, my dropshipper is sending everything through UPS out of California. The supplier has no app that integrates the shipping like Oberlo, etc.  Please, I've been trying to figure out how to set this up for weeks. I got an account # through UPS but don't understand why I need it if I have no package to send. I just don't understand how to make shipping work. And yes, I've read tons of documents, watched videos. I still need some help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
832 53 132

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, there.

This is Dallas from the Social Care Team here at Shopify.

To clarify if you're dropshipping you don't actually need to have any shipping rates set up. Your supplier will be the one who purchases the shipping and actually ships the products to your customers for you. All that you have to do is purchase the product from the supplier after the customer purchases the item from you. When you buy from the supplier you will then be charged shipping.

Technically speaking you could charge your customers for shipping on your store and that money could be used towards the rate of shipping from your dropshipping supplier. With that option, however, you run the risk of undercharging for shipping since shipping rates are charged per item with suppliers.

I suggest you add the price of shipping into the price of your products in your store. Then you can set up one shipping rate saying "Free shipping". This way you aren't losing any money, and you're able to advertise free shipping as a buying perk.

So to answer your question if you're just drop shipping, you don't need a shipping calculator.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you want more assistance when it comes to setting up your free shipping.

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0
Oh wow... that makes it a lot easier. But, dang, I'll have to charge a large amount for items because shipping is SO high. But ok, great... free shipping it is. Thank you so much!

Patricia

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
832 53 132

Have you heard of e-packet shipping? There are a lot of dropshipping suppliers who have that option. Basically, it ships the products to your customers in 12-15 days rather than 30-40. I definitely suggest that you try to add products to your store that have the ability to use e-packet. 

E-packet costs a bit of money, but the shipping prices are relatively low in comparison to other shipping methods and shipping times that are that high can turn customers away from finalizing their purchase. I think it is something that you should really look into rather than only opting for the UPS shipping prices.

Is there a reason you're using UPS rather than e-Packet? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0
Thank you for your help, but I'm not shipping any products. It's my dropshipper that sends them out and they use UPS. Someone helped me to see I just need to either include my charges from the dropshipper either within my product price or create a flat rate on my products to cover my charges from the supplier. But thank you for taking the time to respond.

Best regards,

Patricia

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
832 53 132

No problem at all! If you ever have any other questions please don't hesitate to let me know. 

0 Likes