Having a shipping discount for members

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

Is it possible to implement a discount on shipping? We want to add a membership subscription plan to our site and the biggest draw for our customers are reduced shipping costs since we deal with international customers. We ideally would like to have a "Pay $X a month/quarter for 50% reduced shipping" . Is there a way to do this? We're on Shopify Basic. 

Thanks,

Brittany

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
195 21 48

Hi, @bcanty!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. What a great idea to add a membership plan with free or reduced shipping. Memberships are a great way to keep your customers engaged with your business and entice them to keep shopping with you for the added benefits.

Currently, you can create a discount code for Free Shipping, but not for discounted shipping at this stage. This is something Shopify is looking into, and I'll add in this example to the work being done with discounts. This doesn't guarantee the feature will make it to development, but, as they say, many hands make light work.

In the meantime, in order to achieve a shipping discount, you'll need the use of some apps to add in some functionality. Before we look at some app ideas, in order to make the discount exclusive to those subscribed to your membership, you'll need to add tags to customers who subscribe. As your customers sign up to the monthly membership, add a tag to their customer profile. You can name this anything you'd like. For the purposes of this, let's say we call the tag "membership".

1. Navigate to the customers profile by going to Customers on the menu in your Shopify Admin and click on the customers name.
  2. Scroll down, and find the field "Tags" on the right-hand side. Add in your new tag.
  3. Click Save and the tag will save to the customers profile.

In order to create the discounts for those customers, I've found an app that may suit you and have listed it below with some of the main features.

• Volume & Tiered Discounts
    • Free plan available. 14-day free trial for priced plans.
    • Multiple discount types: Discount products by a fixed price, a certain percentage, or a dollar amount.
    • Add Unlimited Discount Levels

Be sure to check out the Shopify App Store for more apps that may be useful for your shipping discounts.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions at all.

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
252 10 32

Hi @bcanty,

Like Miles said, it's a great idea but currently you can only set free shipping discount, not reduced shipping fee discount.

Avada is an e-commerce solution provider based in the heart of Vietnam where the best developers unite. Founded in 2017 by Mageplaza, Avada is responsible to complete the mission to help 1 million online businesses grow revenues.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks Miles,

Thinking about this in a different way, is there a way to use those tags that you mentioned to have a set of Shipping rules/prices only apply to them? Like if I have flat rate shipping for $10, could I create another shipping profile/rule/something that would only apply to people with that tag?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
195 21 48

Hi again @bcanty!

Apologies for the delayed response with this.

At this stage, there isn't an option to create customer tags for shipping purposes. With that being said, there are some apps in our App Store that may help!

• Customer Shipping Rules

• $49/month. 7-day free trial.
    • Set discounted or free shipping rates for loyal customers or customers who have subscribed to a product or membership.
    • Use advanced carrier rates, edit rate titles and subtitles, ship from postal codes. Or rule-based rates like by item or percent of the total.
  • Bespoke Shipping

• $15/month. 7-day free trial
    • Create Rates based on customer types, product groups and locations.
    • Define your zones by postcode and city. Filter rates on name and value.

Alternatively, you can create a free shipping discount code based on customer tags in Discounts in your Admin, however, this will mean you'll need to provide this code to the customers you'd like to benefit from the free shipping (which I covered in the thread above).

I hope this helps in the meantime. Please let me know if there are any other questions at all.

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes