Hello guys! How do I bypass the "Domain Available" option and just connect to a Custom Domain

peeterx
4 0 0

Hello Shopify Experts!

So I am setting up a new Shopify store but trying to set up an existing domain I get an option to buy one from Shopify but I already have the domain purchased using another domain provider.

The custom domain name is: jumanijewellery.com

peeterx_0-1596607459685.png

Is there a way to bypass this or will I be forced to buy the domain from Shopify?

Regards.

Replies 5 (5)

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @peeterx

Ren here from the Shopify Support team, here to help you out. It sounds like you're looking to connect an existing third-party domain. Do I have that right? If you've purchased your domain through a third party, then you need to edit the following DNS settings by logging in to your dashboard for your particular provider:

• Your A record should point to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65 
  • Your www CNAME record should point to shops.myshopify.com 

You can read the full instructions on our guide here.

Remember that it might take up to 48 hours for your custom domain to point to your Shopify store. If you have problems or need help setting your third-party domain, you can reach out to your provider. 

If I didn't quite understand the question, please let me know! How have you found the set-up process so far otherwise? 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

peeterx
4 0 0

Hello @Ren

You are right, I am looking to connect to an existing third-party domain, the problem though is not with the DNS settings but rather with the Shopify platform; on clicking 'Connect existing domain' and adding the domain name in this case: jumanijewellery.com, and clicking next I get the 'Domain Available' popup window

peeterx_0-1596609598444.png

I am unable to bypass that and proceed to 'verify connection', like other times when I try connecting an existing domain.

The setup process so far has been awesome, I mean this is the first problem that I have faced so far, the other parts are easy to find solutions to and the fact that I can edit the code for further customization is just amazing. 

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi again! 

Thank you for clarifying and for the screenshot. What happens when you click Continue? Does it just not load the next step? If that's the case, I suggest clearing your cache or trying from a new browser entirely to see if that resolves the issue for you. Let me know how that goes.

peeterx
4 0 0

Hello, @Ren 

I know the feedback is pretty late but the issue was with my domain provider, they had issues with making the domain name unavailable after purchase, but they did fix it and was able to set up the store without any more issues on Shopify.

I appreciate the help though.

Regards,

Peter.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @peeterx

No worries at all about the timing there! The update is appreciated and it always helps to have that context for future scenarios like this. 

Thank you!