Help Adding Product Fees

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello, 

I am currently working on a Shopify store that sells wine in Canada. I must add (what I thought would be) a very simple feature: a bottle deposit fee, i.e. an untaxed fee added to each bottle purchased.
Thus far, however, I haven't encountered any customization options that permit the inclusion of this type of additional fee. I have encountered a *paid* solution, which I am reluctant to use until I believe I have exhausted all possible alternative options.
Can someone help me to add this extra, untaxed, per-bottle product fee? Perhaps with some comparable custom Liquid code? Anything helps. 

Thank you  

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 16 39

Hi, there!

My name is Ren from the Shopify support team here with some suggestions to consider before utilizing an app or reaching out to a Shopify Expert for some custom coding. 

There is a way to add a handling fee/mark-up through your shipping settings and as long as you aren't charging taxes on your shipping, it may be a viable option. To do this, head over to your shipping settings and follow the directions here. You can add a flat rate, a percentage or both. 

Another option might be to simply add the fee into the cost of the product. It may prove to be easier to add this to the cost of the product VS the shipping since the product inherently has the more value to a buyer whereas a extra high shipping fee may in turn result in less conversions.

Finally, you may be able to build a product fee into your product variants by marking them up accordingly based on the fee per product, IE customers can select from 1, 2, 3 or 4 bottles and the fee is built into a tiered pricing structure.

Let me know what you think about those options and should I come across another possibility, I'll be sure to check back with you. 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi Ren! 
Thanks for following up so quickly. 
I've toyed around with these 3 proposals that you've offered but I'm not sure they are appropriate for the problem I have. 

1) Adding a fixed mark-up doesn't adapt to the number of bottles purchased. It remains a flat fee whether one purchases 1, 5, 12, or 99 bottles. I need to add a small additional deposit fee to each bottle in a customers cart. Additionally, the handling fee seems optional (whereas I need a fee that is unconditionally applied to each bottle) and is contingent upon choosing a carrier service. 

2) I cannot add the deposit fee to the cost of the product because the product cost is taxed and the fee is not. 

3) Adding product variants would be extremely cumbersome given how many I would have to make to accommodate customer choice. Also, I think I would have the same issue as adding the fee to the cost of the product, i.e. no tax on fee. 

If you think I've made a mistake, overlooked something, or if you come across another possibility, I would love to know! 

Kind regards, 
Cristian 

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi Ren! 
Thanks for following up so quickly. 
I've toyed around with these 3 proposals that you've offered but I'm not sure they are appropriate for the problem I have. 

1) Adding a fixed mark-up doesn't adapt to the number of bottles purchased. It remains a flat fee whether one purchases 1, 5, 12, or 99 bottles. I need to add a small additional deposit fee to each bottle in a customers cart. Additionally, the handling fee seems optional (whereas I need a fee that is unconditionally applied to each bottle) and is contingent upon choosing a carrier service. 

2) I cannot add the deposit fee to the cost of the product because the product cost is taxed and the fee is not. 

3) Adding product variants would be extremely cumbersome given how many I would have to make to accommodate customer choice. Also, I think I would have the same issue as adding the fee to the cost of the product, i.e. no tax on fee. 

If you think I've made a mistake, overlooked something, or if you come across another possibility, I would love to know! 

Kind regards, 
Cristian 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 16 39

Hi Cristian, 

Thanks for the added details. Unless you're open to working with a developer to have a customization done (check out our Expert directory here), an app may be the fastest solution at this time. Other than the Order and Product fee app, you could try one of our Product Option apps (there are free versions as well as varying subscription fees) to essentially add a product option to the page in the form of a radio button.

You could try labelling the button along the lines of, "I accept/I understand the bottle handling fee" and then set it up to create a charge once the button is clicked. You will need to make sure that clicking the button is a required step (all done in app) so that customers must click it and therefore add and accept the handling charge before they can move to the checkout.

Let me know if I can help clarify any of that! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like