Help! Product CSV File Upload Error: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

Tourist
7 1 1

Hi @Peter 

Can you please let me know what the correct format is for importing a product with two variants, for example color and size ?

I've tried including options1name and options2Name on the same line for a product but get errors when importing.

Then i tried on separate lines and still got errors

Thanks for your help

HandleTitleBody (HTML)VendorTypeTagsPublishedOption1NameOption1ValueOption2NameOption2ValueOption3NameOption3 ValueVariant SKUVariant GramsVariant Inventory TrackerVariant Inventory QtyVariant Inventory PolicyVariant Fulfillment Service
LampTable Lamp
<h2 TABLE LAMP</h2>  
 LampsLightingTRUEColorWhitesizeLarge  abc   DenyManual
Lamp       Orange Small  abcd   DenyManual
Lamp       Chocolate    abcde   DenyManual
Lamp       Black    abcdef   DenyManual
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@TeddyRambo 

When creating a product that has more than one variant option, then you'll need to ensure that each possible variation is created. This means that if you have White, then you need to have a line for white/small and white/large as the system won't automatically assume that each option has a specific size associated to it. 

19-09-evqut-j8zvw

Hope that helps!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
142 0 25

If your CSV file doesn't have any "handle", you can try the Moose Sync app to import your products and schedule some automatic updates.

By default, if the handle is missing, it will "fill" it with the Product title data. If you don't have any product title either, well that's bad from a customer-experience point of view, but still, Moose Sync can make it work by filling the Product title with the content from one or more other "columns" (csv field). For example, using a "virtual field", you can aggregate 2 fields, let's say "SKU" and "ShortDescription" into one single field (Product title) and import your data smoothly in your Shopify store. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Peter,

Can you help me too please? I do not want to add variants, I just want to add 4 images for EVERY product. I can send you my excel file with all the products if you like.

Best,

Maud

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@maudie 

Our help doc here dives into the steps on how to add multiple images to your CSV file for each product. If you have any issues getting that setup, let me know! 

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

I am facing a similar issue, have to upload hundred but not succesfull for 5 also. 

Please help solve below error:

Failed:

• Line 2-14: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.
HandleTitleBody (HTML)VendorTypeTagsPublishedOption 1Option 1 ValueOption 2Option 2 ValueOption 3Option 3 ValueVariant SKUVariant Grams
Brass FigurinePAGADI GANESHAPremium Brass GaneshaMantraFigurineGod figurineTRUEColourBrass CopperSize19"Warranty2 year 20000
Brass Figurine Premium Brass GaneshaMantraFigurineGod figurineTRUEColour

Brass Antique

Size19"Warranty2 year 20000
Brass FigurineLAKSHMIPremium Brass FigurineMantraFigurineGod figurineTRUEColourMicro Gold CoatingSize3.25"Warranty5 Years 270
Brass FigurineGOMATHABlessing of Holy CowMantraFigurinefigurineTRUEColour

Brass Antique

Size5.5"Warranty2 year 2160
Brass FigurineGOMATHABlessing of Holy CowMantraFigurinefigurineTRUEColourBrass CopperSize2.75Warranty2 year 420
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@TanshaQuo 

All of your handles are the same, but you have multiple titles that indicate these are separate products. You would need to update the handles if they are separate products, or remove the titles except for the first one and try again. 

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Peter 

I have been trying everything suggested on this forum but still have this same problem.Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exist. 

Can you check my csv file

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0377/3782/4301/files/product_template25.csv?v=1596029935

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

@stallionretail 

As you're using the additional fields for images, and not variants, the CSV file is confusing the system by having values in the following columns: 

• Option 1 Name
  • Option 1 Value
  • Variant Fulfillment Service
  • Variant Requires Shipping
  • Variant Inventory Tracker
  • Variant Inventory Policy
  • Variant Grams
  • Variant Taxable 
  • Gift Card
  • Variant Weight Unit

Removing the values that appear in each of the columns for rows 3-5, 7-9, and 11-13 will result in a successful import. A few things to note about your CSV file:

• Your handles are quite long. I would recommend shortening the handles to make it appear cleaner, and more concise. 
  • You'll want to add inventory to the products as currently they are set to 0

Let me know if you run into any issues!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Peter 

Thank you so much, work well. I think my handle was so long, I just create short handle and works well. I dont know how to add inventory to the products, I filled the Variant Inventory Qty 10 but uploaded 0 quanity.

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 6.19.51 PM.png

0 Likes