Help! Product CSV File Upload Error: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

RetroArt
1 0 0

I'm trying to upload a CSV file with 25 products; there are no options/variants for the products but most of the products do have more than one image. On my first attempt, 14 products of 49 uploaded successfully, but I cannot upload the remaining 35. I get the "Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists." for every line. The current file is formatted EXACTLY the same way; all I did was delete the rows with the successfully uploaded products. Anyone have a solution??

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2016 159 431

Hey, @RetroArt!

What steps have you tried already in terms of troubleshooting? When it comes to this error, this typically means you'll want to delete "Default Title" from every line other than the first line of each product. However, if your main goal is to upload multiple images per product, then following our guide here should help outline the steps you'll need to take to achieve this. 

If this doesn't work then feel free to post a few screenshots of your CSV, or upload the file to Settings/Files, and paste the link here as I'd be happy to help get that resolved. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Lubabalo_Mazong
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi Guys

Seems like almost all of us newbies kinda hit the rock error..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/6079/9033/files/New_Shopify.csv?5    

this is the link for any expert to help please and thank

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2016 159 431

Hey, @Lubabalo_Mazong!

Taking a look at your CSV file, I can see that you have multiple lines of the same handle but the titles vary: 

24-07-5tldu-z4ebv

What your file is telling our system is that line 2 is the parent product, and lines 3-7 are the variants (children to the parent). If this is intended, then you'd need to remove the titles and descriptions from lines 3-7, and use Option 1 Name & Value to describe the variant options. If these are intended to be separate products altogether, then the handle must be unique for every product. You can download a sample CSV here which should help with getting this fixed up. 

Let me know how that goes!

Lubabalo_Mazong
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

10 Likes from me. Thanks Peter

TheLion
2 0 1

Hi @Peter 

I'm having the same problem, please can you check out my csv for problems?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0077/7846/7895/files/products_export_few_lines_and_images.csv?233

I'm trying to import 13 products with single images each, but receiveing this error:
Line 2-14: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists. 

My products are simple and have no variants. But with "Title" and "Default Title" as my Options1 Name and Options1 Value, no luck.

Your soonest response will be much appreciated thanks

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2016 159 431

Hey, @TheLion!

Taking a look, each product is missing a handle. This file should load perfectly fine once you add unique handles to each product line: 

28-49-bgyfp-yuawe

Hope that helps!

TheLion
2 0 1
Works perfectly thank you
estuffs
3 0 0

Same error here, https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1742/2493/files/shopify-product_template_-_Copy.csv?1154

I want to add multiple images to one product for the same handle.

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2016 159 431

@estuffs 

Currently, your CSV file is telling the system that you have 1 product, with multiple variant options as you have most columns filled in. To add additional images to a specific product, you'd need to create a new row for each image. You'd need to fill in the handle and the image source columns for each new line which should give you the desired result. We have a help doc here that dives into these steps in further detail if you need it! 

Let me know if you have any questions!

0 Likes