Help! Product Pages not getting indexed

Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Could it have something to do with the canonical url tags on your product pages? They must becorrect for google to index. I get a 404 when requesting the canonical urls of the product pages.

I.e., product page

https://mywish.ge/products/%E1%83%9B%E1%83%90%E1%83%A6%E1%83%90%E1%83%9A%E1%83%AC%E1%83%94%E1%83%9A%...

contains the following canonical url tag:

<link rel="canonical" href="https://mywish.ge/products/%25e1%2583%259b%25e1%2583%2590%25e1%2583%25a6%25e1%2583%2590%25e1%2583%25...">

that results in http 404 when requested!

----
Ask me anything.
Developer (Themes, Apps, SEO, marketing, data, ai)
0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 1

@TonnyPoTana 

Great point!

I noticed that when I was sending links over Facebook the preview was 404 result.

How can I fix it? OR is it better to change Georgian (KA) language URLs to English?

I would be happy to keep Georgian script URLs if it's possible.

0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 1

@TonnyPoTana 

Looks like you are correct. Canonical is the issue.

I crawled the website using Screaming Frog and all the URLs with Georgian script are 404.

Will highly appreciate if anybody explains how to fix this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

I believe the canonical URL value is generated by the Shopify backend and made available to the liquid theme files via the {{ canonical_url }} object. So, unless your theme files modify the value, I think solving this issue is up to Shopify support. It looks like the canonical value represents the URL safe encoding of the already URL encoded version of your Georgian URLs. 

So please check the theme files and contact Shopify support for this.

Meanwhile, maybe verify that URL DE-coding results in the correct canonical URL on a specific product page by doing something like this in the main theme file/product theme file:

{% if product.id == <id of a specific product, i.e. 2010786010850> %}
    <link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url | url_decode }}">
{% else %}
    <link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url }}">
{% endif %}

If the canonical URL now is OK for the specified product page, than request indexing of that one page in Google Search Console and check Google search results in a few days with "inurl:<url-of-product-page>"

Further, I would not recommend switching to English URLs, because of SEO.

Regards

----
Ask me anything.
Developer (Themes, Apps, SEO, marketing, data, ai)
1 Like
Tourist
14 0 1

Thanks for the detailed information.

My programmer fixed the issue. Looks like there was a problem in URL decoding/encoding.

Hope Google will be happy now!

Best,

Vaz

0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 1

UPDATE

Hi all,

I received updated results in the Search Console. There are no good news.

Screenshot.png

The PAGES are discovered but excluded.

I fixed the issue with Canonical @TonnyPoTana. Scanned the website using Screamingfrog and the results are good, all pages returned Status Code 200.

Does anyone have an idea what can be the problem?

@Ava 

No idea what to do next...

0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 1

Looks like this issue is too tough for this Community : (

0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 1

After so many days of trying and testing, I found the solution.

Here are the steps:

1) Analyze your website using software (in my case it was Screaming Frog SEO Spider)

2) Make sure you get the correct results on all pages which aren't restricted by robots.txt

(code 200)

3) Make sure that there are no mistakes in robots.txt file

4) Get some quality backlinks

5) You have to add your website to Search Console and analyze/review the results daily. Look for excluded pages and for the reasons

6) MANUALLY request indexing of the pages, it works very well. It indexes pages instantly! You get updated results almost LIVE.

Screenshot.png

It also will tell you whether your URLs are valid, crawlable and indexable.

Good luck to all, now all of my pages are indexed :)

Screenshot (2).png

Best,

Vaz

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
481 26 63

Hey again, @Vazma!

So sorry for the delayed response here. I'm glad to see you've resolved this! With the Google Search Console, the majority of issues with indexing are resolved over time. Once the sitemap has been submitted, there are some things (like the Indexing API and the method you've found here) that can speed up the process, but usually, it just takes time for these pages to be indexed.

I'm glad to see this has been resolved for you now though. Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Ava

Social Care

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
9 0 0

The {{ canonical_url }} issue is not resolved.    I would love for Shopify team to try this...

Create a URL containing a TM character in a store.

Try the canonical URL.

Starting around Oct 17th-Oct20th, our previously fine URLs were working with (R) characters and the canonicals were fine.

We had to change the code to:

<link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url | url_decode }}">

Before it was:

<link rel="canonical" href="{{ canonical_url }}">

Scott

0 Likes