Help needed in changing theme in shopify

Highlighted
Tourist
10 1 0

Hi,

I am using Brooklyn theme right now and have made few code changes. I also have a new product template (with no cart) and all my products are using that new template. My question is if I want to change my theme at this point, will I have to redo all the code edits and product changes again?

Thanks so much for your help!

Tanz

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
184 20 27

Hey, @Tanz!

Ash here from the Shopify team.

This is a great consideration to take before making a big change to your site, such as the active theme. To answer your question in short, yes, you will need to redo all of your code edits in your new theme if you decide to switch.

While some areas of Shopify are independent from the theme, such as product and collections creation and navigation for example, any changes you make in a specific theme are only applicable to that theme. This includes changes made within a themes customizer, or code changes made on a theme or any of its sections. Another important point to note is that not all theme sections will be compatible with every theme, so copy/pasting a custom product template from one theme to another may result in errors on the page. If you're familiar and experienced with coding, you may be able to adapt your existing customizations into the new theme, though. 

What sort of existing customizations are on your site that you'd ideally want to carry over into a new theme? Also, have you already picked out a new theme you're interested in switching to? 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 1 0

Thank you for your response. I will just stick to my current theme for now. There isn't a big reason to switch a theme at this point. This was a general question if I need to switch in future.

Thanks!

0 Likes