Help please..want to move our store from one theme to another

Solved
Highlighted
5 0 0

I want to move our store from one theme to another. Will all my social media connections like FB, INSTA, google and Pixel setting...etc all switch over automatically including historical data and Apps??.. Help please.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
649 75 107

All your social media data resides outside of Shopify, you would, however, need to connect them to new themes through settings If you are unsure you may want to hire an expert. 

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution

To hire: email us at shopify@propero.in
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Distinctbrands1!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for your question. I just wanted to add onto the previous response. Changing themes is a great idea to refresh your store, but also to rebrand. It does come with some work. You'll need to customize your store again, make sure the apps you've downloaded have their coding transferred across and that the menus are in the same place as some themes have different navigation requirements. We try to make the process of updating your store as easy as possible, so I thought I would give you some tips to help you out.

Your theme is simply what your customers see. All data including finances, analytics, products, social media etc is stored elsewhere. When you design your store using a theme, take note of the things your editing. You are creating the look and feel of your store, so that's exactly what you'll need to do if you change themes. You don't check your data or manage your products there, so it won't be altered. I hope that is a simpler way of looking at it.

Social Media
If you have sales channels installed such as the Facebook Channel, you won't need to make any changes at all. Everything will move across to the new theme automatically with no issues at all. This is the same for your Google analytics and any Pixels you have.

If you have links to your social media pages, you will need to add these in again. Once you've uploaded your new theme, head over to Online Store > Themes > Customize. In the sidebar, you'll see a section called "Theme Actions" towards the bottom. Click that, then click "Social Media". This is where you'll add your social media icons.

Historical Data
This will also move across with no issue.

Apps
Apps are a tricky one. Most apps inject custom coding into your theme in order for them to function. Some apps will email you if they notice you've changed your theme. Others will move the coding across automatically. The rest do nothing meaning you may have to manually intervene and re-add any code. The most simple way to work all this out is to contact the app developers. To contact them, navigate to your Apps section, and next to each app, you'll see a button called "Get Support". This will show a pop-up where you can message the developer of each app and ask what you need to if you're changing themes. For any apps made by Shopify, simply contact us for assistance if the app coding doesn't transfer across.

I recommend checking out our guide on updating themes for more information on what you might want to edit once you've changed your theme. It's also worth noting that you can download a new theme and customize it before you make it live. You can have up to 20 themes in your store, so 1 of them will be published (what your customers see) and the other 19 are for themes you're customizing in anticipation of publishing them or theme backups. You can find more information on this in our publishing themes guide.

Since you're refreshing your store, I recommend checking out Shopify Compass. Shopify Compass provides you with webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing and more. It's 100% free for everyone and new content is being added all the time. This program will help you drive more traffic into your store and also convert that traffic into sales. It's a great way to learn great tips to design your store, then market your new look and feel to your customers.

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes