Help with POS Payments

Highlighted
10 0 0

Hi I have an online store, but will also be selling products via POS, I require a card reader/ chip and pin machine to process payments.  I plan to track stock levels of some products which I sell but not all.  Finally I use android devices and am in the UK.  

What options for payment services are available to me?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
479 41 105

Hi, @marcusrcoates!

Julie here from Shopify Support. 

It's great to hear that you're wanting to sell your products in-person as well. To do so, you'll first need to install the Shopify POS app, which is available on iPhone, Android, and iPad devices. With the POS app, you can then process, manage, and view orders in-person. 

Which payment gateway are you using? If you're using Shopify Payments, then you could purchase a card reader from the Shopify UK Hardware Store. In the UK, we currently offer the Tap, Chip & Swipe Reader, which accepts credit cards and contactless payments (like Apple Pay and Google Pay) with the Shopify POS app. To use this card reader, you will need to be on the Basic plan or higher. It's also worth noting that this card reader is currently only compatible with iOS devices (iPhones and iPads) and is not available for Android at this time. 

If you aren't using Shopify Payments, then you can still accept payments using the Shopify POS app, but you will need to use an external card reader sourced from a third-party provider. With an external card reader, you can process orders the same way you would normally do so, but you would simply select "External terminal" as the payment method. This will tell Shopify that the payment was captured outside of Shopify, using a third-party device. We also have some instructions on how to enable external payment methods using the POS app here.

As for inventory tracking, you can definitely set this up within your Shopify admin and choose which products you'd like to track inventory on. You can also choose to continue selling products online when they are out of stock. We actually have a help doc on inventory management that I think you'll find useful. There, you'll learn how to set up inventory tracking and change inventory quantities. 

Keep in mind that using the Shopify POS, you can continue selling products when inventory reaches zero and below. This is because the Shopify POS app assumes you have the inventory on hand if you are selling in person. For this reason, it's a good idea to double-check that the product is indeed in stock before processing transactions on the Shopify POS. 

I hope this helps answer your questions! Is there a reason why you are wanting to only track inventory for some products and not all? I'd love to hear about your use case for this and perhaps offer some further suggestions. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes