Help with a few questions we have about selling online - need your help and expertise?!

Tourist
14 0 1

Not sure where else to ask these questions - figured this might be an amazing spot.

WEBSITE - www.coloradoflagshirts.com

1.)  We own three domains (www.rockymtnthreads.com,  www.coloradoflagshirts.com, and www.coloradoshirts.net).

No matter which you type you go to www.coloradoflagshirts.com - they all point to that one address.  When you google search that is the only one that shows up on page 2.    But what about the other two?  When people search for Colorado Shirts why wouldn't www.coloradoshirts.net show up since the search is in the name?  It doesn't show up anywhere on page 1 to page 1100!  Is it because it's a blank domain pointing/forwarding to the other domain so google doesn't recognize it?!

2.)  I think we all know that if your not on page #1 of google then your likely not going to get much business.  I have followed the Shopify articles and added relevant text to my photos, listings, pages, etc.   Still way down on page 2 and getting maybe 1 order per month.  Not enough to pay for the website fee.

What are some of your tips and tricks for SEO optimization?   What has worked for you?    What hurt you?  Where should I focus my energy where it will matter most and how long should I wait before I can tell it didn't work and need to change more?

3.)  Links?  Everyone said the more links you have to your page the better you rank in SEO?  What are these links they talk about?  Do they mean ask someone to put us on their links page?    Does it mean make a post daily on facebook and google+ with a promotion and our link - are those links?   Does it mean just posting in forums and discussion groups and drop our web address - is that a link?

4.)  Blog posts?    I don't really have anything to write about and I am not a good writer even if I did.  How should I handle blogging since it says it's also soooo important to SEO?    Can I copy other articles I read and post them in my blog with our web address?    I don't get how this works?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
20 0 4

Hey Dan, 

1) www.coloradoflagshirts.com would be your primary domain, the one that is crawled by Google whenever its going through the Internet database of websites. The other domains don't count as separate properties, and aren't going to show up because they aren't separate from "www.coloradoflagshirts.com", they're just synonyms for it, you might say.

2) I was much better equipped to answer #1 because SEO isn't necessarily my forté, but something that I've seen a lot of merchants invest in is an app called "Ultra SEO". It's a $10/month investment after a week of free service, and it is super easy to install; no additional codes or anything are required. It assess your store, and earmarks areas where the SEO can be improved. Here's a link:

https://apps.shopify.com/ultra-seo

3) Yes, to all of the bottom set of questions. Links to your website posted on Facebook, Google+, forums, and even links posted on other peoples' websites, count as referrals, and referrals count for a huge chunk of SEO. If Google sees that visitors are getting to "www.coloradoflagshirts.com" through multiple locations (Facebook, Google+, other websites, etc.), then you will see a nominal increase in your rank on their search engine.

Generating referrals is really good, but try not to spam your personal Facebook with links to your website; you might end up having people "Unfollow" your personal page because they feel that's the only thing you're adding to their News Feed. If you haven't already used your Facebook Status (on your personal account) to broadcast your website, go ahead and do that now! Just be wary that people are conscious of what they see in their News Feed, so if their daily input from you is links to your store, you run the risk of them un-following you, on Facebook.

4) You don't really have write out blogs, but search engines crawl text-based content, and the more of it you have, the better. You could step on some toes by just copy + pasting someone else's blog article and putting it on your website, so make sure you get express permission if you decide to do that! 

Do you have Blogs that you know about, and can talk about? Write out 5 lines about why an article is cool, why it applies to what you're selling, why someone should read it. Content you create is something your customers will want to check out, even if that just means a brief description of a blog article that you found and thought was super interesting. That's both allowed, and recommended!! 

These are excellent questions for getting into SEO, and getting it to work for you. It does require some elbow grease, but don't hesitate to create some content and share what you do have - your thoughts and opinions - because your customers will value it, and in terms of SEO, you will notice the result :) 

All the Best,
-Zack L

0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 1

I could not figure this app out at all - so simple it's confusing.  https://apps.shopify.com/ultra-seo

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
20 0 4

Gotcha! I've played with it myself and found it to be useful, but I totally get why it'd be confusing. You can shoot the developers an email at "info@coolence.com" and see if they'd be willing to run through the app with you, over the phone, for instance. 

In terms of SEO, I'm not the best-phrased, so a lot of what I do to maximize SEO comes from that app. Another option would be to get in touch with one of the Marketing Experts; I filtered this link so that it's the less expensive marketers, but professional help may be up your alley, here :)

https://experts.shopify.com/marketers/?budget_max=500

0 Likes