Help with language on cart page

Solved
Tourist
3 1 0

Looking for help editing the copy in my cart, which is found under Themes > Actions > Edit languages

I couldn't find a how-to article on this anywhere (mostly because the page is referring to Language and all search results return resources on how to work with different language translations) and I'm not finding these settings very straightforward at all :(

Is there a help article on how to edit these copy elements in the cart?

What I'm trying to figure out is what the difference between all of these is - https://screencast.com/t/HtuGcWGqRm

For example what's the difference between "Taxes and shipping at checkout" and "Taxes and shipping policy at checkout html"

Currently the one labeled Taxes and shipping at checkout is appearing on my cart page.

What are the other options?

How do I choose to enable one of the other ones?

Generally how does this work??

Any point in the right direction would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
154 14 16

Hey there, @quinnsouther !

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I can understand how this could be confusing, and would be happy to see how I can clarify this for you.

The different between Taxes and shipping at checkout and Taxes and shipping policy at checkout html will depend on whether you've included a Shipping policy in your Settings > Legal > Shipping policy:

If you save any text in this box, the Taxes and shipping policy at checkout html will override the Taxes and shipping at checkout section, as it will automatically link to the Shipping policy in the case your customer would like to review it before committing to their purchase.

With the HTML options, you'll also be able to make coding changes to change the appearance of the text. For example, if you wanted to make the word "checkout" bold, you could include <strong> tags. It'd look something like this (with the Shipping policy in place):

Taxes and <a href="{{ link }}">shipping</a> calculated at checkout

Taxes and <a href="{{ link }}">shipping</a> calculated at <strong>checkout</strong>

While we don't have a guide that explains the difference between the Language sections, you may find this guide helpful to explain how you can make changes in the Language Editor.

I hope this information helps! If theres anything I can clarify, please let me know.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like

Success.

Tourist
3 1 0

Hey @Ryder

Very helpful thank you :)

One follow up question...

Under the Checkout & System tab, is the text field placeholder text what displays on my site by default unless I specify something different?

For example, in the screenshot here - https://screencast.com/t/Xp6isvukpf1

you can see that I've added my own text in the Continue to shipping method field, so because I've entered something in that field, the custom text that I entered will display live on the site. But for Back to contact information field, the placeholder text "Return to information" will display because I haven't specified anything different.

Is that how it works?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 1 0

NM, figured it out myself by testing. Should have just done that in the first place 🙃

Thanks again for your original answer, exactly the info I was looking for!

0 Likes