Help with website!

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have brought a domain with shopify and so now I am trying to verify my Google account onto my Shopify primary domain. But when I follow the instructions by going to Online Store-Themes-Actions-Edit Code- inserting the HTML file. That didnt work so I tried to insert the HTML tag and that also didnt work. I tried to connect my subdomain but it wouldnt connect. I also tried to work with Analytics and Google Merchant Center & Google Search Console. I just want to get my website verified and connected with Google but Im continuing to go in circles.  I need to verify domain ownership via DNS record and verify the ownership of site. Also setup a Generic third-party domain. Im curious how many domains should your website have and if more then one, why & how to do you set it up.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
52 7 12

Hi, @wilmarob!

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Were you following these steps to submit your sitemap and verify your site with Google? Once the sitemap has been submitted, you can verify your site with Google using the meta tag verification method. Please make sure that your store is live before you attempt to submit the sitemap or verify the website. If the password protection is still enabled, it won't work. If you're still having trouble with this after reviewing the steps outlined in the documents linked here, let me know and I can send you an email to dig into it further.

The number of domains you add really depends on your business. Many stores just stick to one domain, but some will purchase several top-level domains (TLDs) to redirect to their primary domain. For example, you could purchase the .com, .ca, and .co versions of your website if you think customers might try to use any of those TLDs to find you.

Another case in which you might want to purchase more than one top-level domain is if your business has a unique spelling that you think customers might sometimes get wrong. In that circumstance, you could use the correct spelling in your primary domain and connect other domains with various spelling to redirect to the primary domain. That way, if a customer types the wrong spelling when trying to find your website but you own the domain for the spelling they used, it can still bring them to the right place. If you're setting these domains up through a third-party registrar, you can follow these steps to connect third-party domains.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes