Hiding Collections, search and FAQ pages from Google

1 0 0

Hello! 

I have launched a home page from the Jumpstart theme on shopify and as a result do not have the actual store up and ready to go as we build interest. As a result we have no content on the collections page, FAQ or a search page.

When searching google for our site, the google results show the main page at the top but shows 3 separate pages below which are the /collections/all, /faq, /search.

I tried putting in URL redirects but that only seems to have worked for the FAQ page and not the collections or search pages.

Is there any way I can redirect these other pages or hide them from the google results. I had read about using the metatags to not index however these pages don't actually exist so I'm not sure how I would add the metatags to non-existent pages.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks

Jesse

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
36 0 2

Hey Jesse,

Great question! You definitely can control which pages show up for Google results and there are a few ways to do so.

It can be done with meta tags for your pages. You can add a meta tag to the header of the page you are looking to hide. It would look like this: 

<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

Alternatively, you can check out an app such as No Follow: https://apps.shopify.com/nofollow-noindex-manager

From there, you can choose which pages show up in Google searches and those that do not.

I hope that works out for you and your store, if you have any further questions about this or anything Shopify related, don't hesitate to reach out to us, we are happy to help.

Connor

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

HELLO 

WHERE DO I GO TO PASTE THIS CODE PLEASE ?

0 Likes