Hiding "Paypal express checkout" option at Checkout

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi everyone , 

I tried all the solutions possible but it doesn't seem to work , at all . 

You will ask , why would you remove it ? My answer is , when targetting Third world countries , you might have people who doesn't follow up with the instructions , or might see paypal and get confused , as to what it's the only payment gateway ! With all my respect to those people . I think that will higher the conversion rate for me , since most of my customers leave in "Intiated checkout" Process .

Help me , please !

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1241 76 273

Hey, @chprowtt!

When using Paypal Express Checkout, the button will need to appear on either your cart page or the first page of your checkout as per Paypal guidelines. If it appears on the first page of your checkout, and you feel that the cart page would be better for conversions, then you'll need to alter the coding of your theme to change the location. 

There are two ways of removing the Pay Pal buttons from the first page of the checkout. Because the Paypal isn't the only additional button that can be added to the Cart page (others include Amazon Payments, etc.), I want to double check whether you want all additional checkout buttons removed, or just the Paypal button? Depending on your answer will determine the next steps I provide. 

Chat soon!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
Hi, i've been waiting so long for this change to happen, i just want the
paypal button removed from both checkout and cart page, and especially the
checkout page where customers need to put their contact information, it
says "Express checkout" with a yellow paypal button below it, i had many
People return at me saying if i only accept paypal..
Please find me a solution because i tried the app and many tutorials.
Thank you for your effort, i really appreciate it !
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1241 76 273

As per Paypal's policies, you need to have the button appear on either the cart page or the first page of the checkout. It wouldn't be possible to remove it from both areas unless you remove Paypal entirely. If your goal is to have it removed from the first page of the checkout, then this would be doable; however, there are two ways to have this removed, as Paypal isn't the only additional button that can be added to the Cart page (others include Amazon Payments, etc.). If you can let me know which route you'd prefer for this, then I'd be happy to supply the directions to get this adjusted. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

Hi @chprowtt 

When using Paypal Express Checkout, the button will appear on either your cart page or the first page of your checkout as per Paypal guidelines. This, however, doesn't solve the problem of the customer getting confused.

Fortunately, I came across an app that hides the PayPal payment method button on both places. This app worked perfectly, even after the latest Shopify updates and changes.

https://apps.shopify.com/hide-paypal-express-button

Check out and Let me know if it works for you. Glad to help.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi @kevindavid 

I just installed the app. Thank you so much It works perfectly fine.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I've read through all this here and I'm still struggling with this.

As i noticed, most people add products to the cart, get to the cart summary page just before the real checkout and they see PayPal and Google pay  then, they assume those are the only two payment options available and abandon the cart.

It wouldn't be a problem if they could see all options but the fact that they only see these two is major problem.

I have tried a paid app but that worked for a short period of time. I believe it would beneficial to all of us if those were either made an option that we could choose or removed from the page altogether.

I also seems to be an ongoing issue for a long time and people here are clearly begging for a solution asap!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1241 76 273

@JustAirShop 

You can remove the buttons from your cart page; however, they will still need to appear on the first page of the checkout. To remove the PayPal (or Amazon, etc) from the cart page, you have to locate the section of code below. It will vary a bit from one theme to another, but the key is to find content_for_additional_checkout_buttons. Using Command + F on your apple keyboard or Shift + F on your PC is a great way to find that quickly.

{% if additional_checkout_buttons %}
<div class="additional-checkout-buttons">{{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}</div>
{% endif %}

Now we're just going to tell the system to ignore it by putting it between a {% comment %} and {% endcomment %}. The result will look like the code below.

{% comment %}
{% if additional_checkout_buttons %}
<div class="additional-checkout-buttons">{{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}</div>
{% endif %}
{% endcomment %}

If you're using a Shopify free theme, and do not feel comfortable making these changes, let me know! I can verify your account to check its eligibility and have our theme support make the changes on your behalf. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 2

Hello Friends, 

I have the same probleme. 

I want to remove the paypal express checkout from the first page of checkout. 

Can you help me remove it please ? 

I can't afford a plugin or a payed solution, i'm a beginner. 

Thank you. 

0 Likes