High risk of fraud orders

Highlighted
3 0 0
Hi I had 2 orders from 1 new customer. Each with a different credit card and the billing info being incorrect. I cancelled the order and messaged him to let him know why and that If he corrected the billing address/info it would go through. He placed the 3rd order with yet a 3rd card. I believe I will cancel this one as well but wanted advice from others. Would you cancel as well or put the order through and see ??
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 1 4

Hi DopeEnough,

Sorry we couldn't respond when you first posted this!  You've probably already made a decision on your order but though we should chime in and offer some advice anyway :)

This is tough to assess without all the details - trying to determine the validity of an order can be extremely complicated!

Using multiple credit cards with incorrect billing details definitely raises red flags.

Some of the (many) other factors to consider would be billing/shipping addresses, IP address, email age, shopping behavior, social presence and many many others.  It's always a good idea to get on the phone with the customer prior to sending an email.  Sometimes that phone call will give you the answers you need.

Fraud is not always a cut and dried answer so this can be challenging for sure.  If you would like to discuss in more detail we'd be happy to do so.

Have a great day :)

Faye

ClearSale

Faye
Director of Partnerships
clear.sale
1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0
I cancelled 3 orders. They all came from the same country, different people but all were high risk. I am not sure if I made the right decision or not but not one of them responded to email and I just hope I didn’t miss out on actual sales
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
476 36 76

Hello @DopeEnough,

This is Ren from the Shopify support team, hoping to help you out here.

This is definitely a difficult situation to be in and one especially hard to navigate when it's so subjective. Did the customer respond after you contacted them and prior to placing a 3rd order? Is it a high value order?

When it comes to fraud protection, Shopify has a built-in filter that can help you identify fraudulent orders. Ultimately, you must make the decision to fulfill or cancel an order though these steps such as verifying the IP address, calling the phone number on the order, searching for the email address 

as well as matching addresses among other steps can help you determine how to proceed. 

Additionally, we also have apps to consider using to help prevent fraudulent charges as well as to protect you in the event of a chargeback. Check out the options here.

Best of luck,

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I've been using Shopify for four years and just had my first and second fraudulent orders within the past two weeks.  Both from Quebec, Canada.

First order was identified as high risk, but no specific problems were identified.  I contacted the customer, who sent me a photo of herself and her driver's license.  She confirmed that it was a genuine order.  I sent the item.  The customer took about a week to pay the duties and accept delivery.  The day before the item was delivered, she filed a chargeback.  I disputed it, of course, with all the documentation, and that's now in process.  Though I now don't have the item or my money.

Second order came in this morning.  Another high value order with a fraud alert from Shopify, this time with credit card discrepancies, though the order did go through.  I called Shopify Support, which was helpful.  I cancelled the order, no notification to the "customer."  I was informed that the way it works is that Shopify refunds the money right away and then makes internal adjustments so that the money doesn't actually reach my account.

I would be interested in comments from other Shopify merchants regarding similar experiences, with high-value orders from Canada - Quebec or elsewhere - that have been flagged as possible fraud.  At this point it doesn't really matter.  The most recent order is cancelled, and the chargeback will either result in my getting my money or learning a hard lesson.  And I've entered a slew of fraud rules to try to prevent this from even getting to the order stage.  But I'm still curious.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
476 36 76

Hi @Depair999

Ren here from the support team. I would encourage you to create a new, separate post with your question to encourage community discussion. I feel like this is a great question but it won't be easily seen buried in this thread. Try the Payments, Shipping and Fulfillment board for posting your question. 

All the best, 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi @DopeEnough I manage the Shopify account NS8.  We are a 3rd party application inside of the Shopify Marketplace.  We can help identify potential fraudsters by scoring them based on over 170 behavioral analytics such as mouse movements, IP address, address mismatching, and velocity.  We can also help with false positives if this is something you are experiencing.  We also have a built in 2 step verification where we can send a text and email to make sure they are a real person.  Feel free to DM me or you can even download the app yourself.  Hope this helps.  Gabe

0 Likes