How To Stop Spam Bot Registration??

Excursionist
34 0 5

I recently noticed that bots are registering as customers at my store at an alarming rate.  The first and last name they use is a long series of letters and numbers and is accompanyed by a fake email address.  I did find an old thread here that gave instructions on how to add a simple math equation to the registration screen to stop bots from registering.  I added the code to the customers/register.liquid page and the math question showed up on the registration page, but it didn't stop the bots.  In fact, while the equation does show up, you can still register on my site without putting in the answer.

Ideally, I would just like to remove the text on the sign-in page that says " New Customer? Sign up → ".  I don't have a need for my customers to register on my store unless they are placing an order.  If there is another way to stop the bots from registering, I would be open to that solution as well.  Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
25 0 4

This has become a seriously annoy occurrence with our shop.

The post https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussion/t/account-creation-spam-how-can-i-stop-it-299920 addresses this same issue, however falls short of a solid solution.

The best hope is that Shopify come up with a built-in solution to stop this behaviour. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
34 0 5

Thanks Cole.  I saw that thread a few days ago and it offered no help at all.  I love how the Shopify Guru offered two solutions and then admitted he didn't know how to implement either of them.  WTF?  And he didn't even research it for the store owner.  Basically just said figure it out if you can.

Sure would be nice if someone from Shopify chimed in here.  From reading the forums, this has been a problem with people's stores for a very long time and Shopify is basically ignoring our pleas.  I did send Sandbox (folks who designed the template I use) a message as well asking how to remove the ability to sign up for an account outside of checkout.  They have not bothered to answer me either.

Great support from two companies I have given my $$ to.

1 Like
Excursionist
34 0 5

Finally heard back from Out of The Sandbox.  These are the folks that designed my template.  A real nice guy over there asked me to create a staff account for him on my site so he could make some changes to my language code. 

He took the option off the SIGN IN page that said  "New Customer?  Create an Account"I didn't need visitors to my store to create an account unless they become customers.  They still have the option to create an account after the check-out process.  Removing the "New Customer?  Create an Account"  option on the SIGN IN page will eliminate spam bots from registering accounts on my site.  Problem solved.

0 Likes
Excursionist
34 0 5

Well, scratch my last update.  Problem still exists.  Removing the "New Customer?  Create an Account"  button on my sign in page did not work.  The web designer at Out of The Sandox didn't think it would.  This is what he told me:

"Spam bots are annoying and the goal is to access information that they do not have access to. Unfortunately, removing links will not stop spam as spam bots automatically send a post request to the form, meaning they do not need to see the form or fill out anything to submit it, they can bypass this and submit the form. Unfortunately, Shopify does not provide the best protection against spam, however, I would consider having a look on Shopify's app store for an app that may help you deter spam bots."

At least he responded.  Shopify has excelled at ignoring me and this post.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
25 0 4

The people that build bots are clever. Of course they are going to look at what will potentially hamper their efforts to post data, and naturally s form, with captcha etc. is going to be the first thing on that list. So if they can post data without the form, they will.

The whole not situation (among other considerations) was why the self-hosted option was ruled out and Shopify was chosen.

WordPress flags spam messages and does not publish them, just as I understand Shopify does. Maybe they could do the same with account creation too, and not have the email confirmation sent out until it is approved. Then one's inbox will not fill up with needless "undeliverable mail" notifications.

Or maybe there is a better solution.

Or maybe there is no solution.

0 Likes
Excursionist
34 0 5

I guess for now I will have to just keep deleting the spam accounts that get created at my store every day.  I usually delete about 30-40 a day right now.  I am still a bit disappointed that not one single Shopify "Guru" has bothered to chime in here.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
25 0 4

Ok, 30-40 a day! Man, only dealing with a handful each week.

It's annoying that it happens period, but to happen on the level you are seeing, I cannot fathom to understand the time you are spending on it, and how @&$%#%#$&@&$ you are.

0 Likes
3 0 0

YOU CAN STOP THEM REGISTER.

Vire is a china brand specialize in customize bluetooth audio module/pcba/decoder board for 10 years,this mp3 pcb module support FM/USB/TF/MP3/Video/AUX. email: sales33@vire.net.cn
0 Likes
Excursionist
34 0 5

Vire, why don't you share with us how you can stop the bots from registering.  I think many people that are following this thread would be interested in how since the Shopify "Gurus" clearly don't have a clue.

0 Likes