How To Stop Spam Bot Registration??

Shopify Partner
27 0 5

I understand you are just a third-party developer, offering "solutions" to merchants.

Thank you for your time, and "free advice".

0 Likes
Excursionist
26 0 13

Coel,

You have just nailed it.

"A platform maker is responsible for keeping that platform fit for purpose (which means secure, useable, non-hackable, etc) whether that platform be a desktop operating system, mobile phone operating system, satellite navigation, or eCommerce system (e.g. Shopify, Magento)."

My latest exchange with shopify is pointing towards apps, the irony being that they don't exist to solve this problem. For the contact form, yes, that is not where my problem lies.

This will be solved. It will be solved simply because this problem will increase because the spambots have found the weakness in the system and will exploit it at an ever-increasing rate, as I am witnessing tonight. Who's going to want to take their business, or keep it with a platform that can't protect against this very basic threat and shows little interest in doing so until it harms their business model.

I've had it for today. So many more important things I could have been doing with my time and here I am dealing with something that is the responsibility of the platform maker, not down to an app developer to create a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

0 Likes
1 0 1

Ok, this is the snippet of form code they tell us to add for captcha from that article right?

<div  class="clearfix large_form">
            <br/><strong>How much is:</strong> <input type="text" disabled="disabled" id="question"/>
            <br/><strong>Answer:*</strong> <input type="text" id="answer" />
          </div>

I did that and like most of you said, it didn't change anything.  And you could register without answering the question.  So I did this...

<div  class="clearfix large_form">
            <br/><strong>How much is:</strong> <input type="text" disabled="disabled" id="question"/>
            <br/><strong>Answer:*</strong> <input type="text" id="answer" required />
          </div>

By adding "required" to the Answer box input tag solves the captcha requirement issue.

A couple bots have trickled in, but it seems to have slowed down.  I think that's because of the cached pages still out there.  But give it a try, it may help you!

Sean 

1 Like
1 0 0

Is this working for you?  I wanted to wait a few days to see what your results were.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Explorer
200 0 19

We have this problem too. like others between 30 and 40 a day. We disabled the newsletter sign up in our footer (with help from out of the sandbox) and for the moment the sign ups have ceased. So its worth checking your 'new customers' and if they dont have an account then they are signing up from another source such as a newsletter sign up.

If they have an account then they are signing up through your account page.

Shopifys response was to hire a shopify expert to do some coding for us and add captcha. Something, as a small business we cant really afford as an expense.

0 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 5

6 minutes ago

Last month, Shopify support told me they were working on a solution. I don't think that's a well known fact among the support staff. 

Shopify, any updates?????

Edit your post

0 Likes
1 0 0

How do I disable newsletter function in the footer?  Will that stop the spam bots?  These false signups are costing me money on my email marketing platform!  PLUS they are blacklisting me.  SUPER ANNOYING!  

0 Likes
4 0 0

There is no way to completely stop the bots that create fake customer accounts with the steps outlined in this thread. Below is the answer from Shopify guru, which I received after my case was escalated to advanced tech support:

"Our escalated technical team had a deep dive into the entries and how they're being created using the tools at their disposal - essentially, because of the template-based way that Shopify sites are often created, bots can sometimes be programmed to access their code regardless of which entry points are offered on the site itself.

Removing mailing list signups and links in the header (like you had done) will help, but the best way to put a halt to bots is to use specialized software like the Ellipsis app that you've installed. I had mentioned I'd send up the details that we've discussed here to our Product team, to let them know that it's a priority for you as a merchant to see more advanced bot-preventing technologies built into our themes. Shopify is always improving, and the teams base those improvements on the feedback of our merchants like you, so thanks so much for providing it here!"

The only thing that works 100% is the Ellipsis Human Presence Technology app from the Shopify app store. Best $5.00/month that I spent in a long time. It worked minutes after installing it. I had to copy their code into my customers/register.liquid template, but it was not difficult at all. I heard that they are workign on an easier way to do it, which will be available shortly. I highly recommend this app. You can try it free for 14 days and see for yourself. I only wish that I found them sooner.

0 Likes
Excursionist
52 0 10

I am just finding this thread because we are expereicening a Russian bot registering and creating accounts on our store. It started last evening at 6PM EST and since then we've experienced 94,000 account creations! They are not using the signup form as one would think. We tried using a recaptcha, disabling the page completely, even went as far as removing it from other inactive themes. That didn't do a thing, they keep pouring in at about 500-1000 an hour. We tried force logging all users out of the admin, nothing, tried to revoke all users from the customer creation in the admin, still nothing. We went through every step we could think of to stop these accounts from being created. 

I've reached out to a guru via live chat and they said that they are working on it with a technical team, this has been all morning and nothing has been done. The volume of these accounts has increased dramatically since earlier when I first started taking with Shopify support. 

When looking through this thread, It definitely appears someone is using what @Cole May said about submitting the form fields via script to create these 95K accounts.

Has anyone else received account created with the first name "МЫ ПОДОБРАЛИ ДЛЯ ВАС РАБОТУ" ?

Something truely needs done to patch up that back door account creation.

Stay Cool... with Shopify. -Brian
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3937 16 325

That is nutso! At least with a hosted platform like Shopify you know you can relax, take your hands off the wheel, and let them deal with the mess. I am sure they will eventually stop the source, and then erase the stains. Be interesting to know why someone would go to the trouble of adding ##K accounts to a shop. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes