How can I change the URL of a product page?

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I used an eBay importer to start my Shopify store but this has lead to all 1000 of my products having a stupidly long URL.

Will updating all 1000 of these cause any issues or SEO problems?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
234 29 38

Hi, @V8PR_UK

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Updating your product URL’s should not cause any issues on your store, but it can affect your SEO. 

How long ago did you submit your sitemap to Google? It takes time for a new website to be indexed and start ranking, therefore if your site is relatively new, it’s favourable to change your product URL’s sooner rather than later. In fact, updating your URL’s with a more simple, readable structure, is recommended in order to optimize your site for search engines. Google regularly indexes new websites, and will do so automatically within 48-72 hours of any changes. 

For more information about improving your SEO, and to familiarize yourself with the tools for optimization already built-in to your Shopify account, please see this Help Doc.

I also recommend taking a look at this blog post, which contains an amazing checklist to follow while working on your store’s SEO.

Hope this helps!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there,

Actually i have a similar question. The urls now are domainname.com/collections.

/collections is nice if you have an English target market. But i sell in the Netherlands, in the Dutch language. Collections should be called: collecties

How can i translate these canonical URLS?

And..if we can't - which seems to be the conclusion - does this have a negative effect on SEO?

Thanks

0 Likes
Excursionist
19 0 3

Hi,

I'm following this because I too want the word "product" out of the URL but when I click to modify the SEO per the instructions I am unable to remove the "product". Is that possible to do? Thank you in advance,

Sarah

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

and Should I redirect or not the new URL to the old one?

In my case I need to delete all the underscore from the URL...if i choose to redirect to the old one, probably i won't solve the problem.

Let me know, since I'm not a developer i'm trying to find the best solution to delete all these _

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

ANY UPDATE ON REMOVING /PRODUCT ECT

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

@Helen  @Jason  @Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
234 29 38

Hi, @b2 and @Catsmom!

Thanks for your questions regarding the structure of your store URL's.

I answered an earlier question within this thread on the structure of Shopify URL's, and how they currently cannot be customized (ie. it’s not possible to remove the /product, /collection, /page etc. from the URL at this time). The comment is on 10-10-2019 on Page 1. Please take a read through it.

Additionally, I did let our developers know then that this type of customization was being requested, and I am happy to submit it again today on your behalf as well.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
67 0 6

Hi there,

We've written a specific guide on How to change Shopify store's URL

Hope the article would help you, also read our other guides to run your Shopify store smoothly ;)

Thanks

I'm Jason Dao, Manager of Research & Development Department at Avada Ecommerce.
0 Likes