How can I choose the default product image?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 11

On some of my product pages, the default product image that is shown is like the 2nd or 3rd thumbnail. Why is it automatically selecting a thumbnail that is not the first to show up as the large product image? It makes no sense to me. Thanks in advance.

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 69

Hey Adam, 

I'm Ann, from the team here at Shopify :)

Great question! When you're looking at your product in the Shopify admin, the image that appears larger will be your default image. So if you add more than one image, then the largest one shown is your product's main image. You can set a new main image by dragging a different image to its place. You can also sort the other images by dragging them. Then don't forget to hit 'Save'! You can learn more about your product images on this page in our Shopify Manual. 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us on this thread :) 

Have a great one,
Ann

Ann | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 11

Hi Ann. Yes it is true that the default product image is the largest one in the images section of my product admin page and that this is the image that appears in my collection pages but I'm talking about a weird scenario I'm experiencing where the main product image that is shown on my product page is not the same image as the default image (or largest on in product admin page, or product image shown in the collection page).

Rather, it is the second or third, depending on the product. Please check the screen shot to see what I mean. The image it shows as the default product image on page load is the 2nd image (note the 2nd thumbnail is selected). I'm wondering if this could be a cache issue?

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 69

Hey Adam, 

I see! That's strange for sure! Have you made any changes to the theme you are using, or did you notice this changed when you downloaded an app? 

Let me know! 

Have a great one,
Ann

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hey Ann,

Ok new info. This issue is only happening on one of my Printful products. The leggings. I suppose this could be an issue with the Printful code but I don't understand how it could be overwriting the Shopify product default image settings which are set correctly on each of my 2 legging product settings pages. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Here is the other legging item product settings page screen shot

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 69

Hey Adam, 

Thanks for the detail! It's definitely odd that this is only happening to a few of your Printful products. In this case, have you tried to reach out to Printful's support team directly? Since they built the app that integrates your products into Shopify, they might be able to spot what's happening here.

You can see their contact information on this page. Reach out to them and let me know if that helps! 

Have a great one,
Ann

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Ann,

Yes I contacted them this past weekend and their support staff wrote the following

I'm following up on our chat about your leggings mockups. Our developers believe that this is an issue on Shopify's end, since our logs show that the front view images are being pushed to your store as the defaults. You should check in with Shopify support about this, since they'll be able to access your account logs on that end. They have a dedicated team that should be able to help out, and will let you know if there's anything more that they need from our end.

How can I go about getting help for this? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 69

Hey Adam, 

Awesome, thanks for sharing that! We can definitely take a closer look here! In the future, if you ever wanted to reach out to our support team, you can use the methods listed on this page

That said, in this case, I will email you to the email associated with this forums post shortly. We can continue the troubleshooting there :) 

Talk soon! 

Have a great one,
Ann

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hey thanks Ann! 

0 Likes