Solved

How can I create two product pages for the one product?

PaulTan
5 0 0

I want to do an A/B test by creating two different pages for the same product, testing the conversion by two different layouts.  

But when I select the same product for the 2nd page and try to publish the 2nd page, it shows "By assigning the product to a new Product Page, you will replace the design of your current Product Page once this template is published. " So that means I can't use the two pages for the one product.

How can I create two product pages and connect them with the same product?

Accepted Solution (1)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2193 201 587

This is an accepted solution.

@PaulTan I do a lot of A/B testing and have a couple ideas for you:

1) If you want to have 2 separate pages for the same product you can duplicate the product, then replicate the information on the 2nd page. It will be a different handle and product ID, but you can make it look exactly like the other one, then select the other page template for the 2nd product.

2) Another way to do it is to duplicate your theme, then make the changes you want to have for the page on the 2nd theme, then swap it at regular intervals. To automate that, you can use Theme Scientist. That's a Shopify app I led the development on. It swaps your theme at regular intervals and tracks the stats of each version so you can see which converts better.

3) You can use Google Optimize if you want to change the page layout for each visitor. You'd do this by having a script that renders the page differently based on which version the user should see.

If you're wanting to test the page layout, any of these 3 solutions will work. If you want to test product attributes that are stored in your database (like price), then solution 1 or 2 will work.

If you want to try solution 2 feel free to reach out, I use the app + work on it / add features so know it pretty well. 😃

Good luck on your testing. 👍

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

Hi Paul,

A product is unique, thus can only be assigned one template. For A/B testing duplicate the product and assign the clone to a different template, you can split inventory between both to see who sells better then.

Hope this helps!

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2193 201 587

This is an accepted solution.

@PaulTan I do a lot of A/B testing and have a couple ideas for you:

1) If you want to have 2 separate pages for the same product you can duplicate the product, then replicate the information on the 2nd page. It will be a different handle and product ID, but you can make it look exactly like the other one, then select the other page template for the 2nd product.

2) Another way to do it is to duplicate your theme, then make the changes you want to have for the page on the 2nd theme, then swap it at regular intervals. To automate that, you can use Theme Scientist. That's a Shopify app I led the development on. It swaps your theme at regular intervals and tracks the stats of each version so you can see which converts better.

3) You can use Google Optimize if you want to change the page layout for each visitor. You'd do this by having a script that renders the page differently based on which version the user should see.

If you're wanting to test the page layout, any of these 3 solutions will work. If you want to test product attributes that are stored in your database (like price), then solution 1 or 2 will work.

If you want to try solution 2 feel free to reach out, I use the app + work on it / add features so know it pretty well. 😃

Good luck on your testing. 👍

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks