How can I run my store without a Social Security Number

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi, I am an international student in the United States, I already opened a Shopify store but Shopify said I can not receive Credit Card Payment because I do not have a Social Security Number. What can I do please?

Michael

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
392 1 38

Hi, Michael!

Koreen here from Shopify. Thanks for posting. :)

I'm afraid that in order to use Shopify Payments in the US, a SSN is a requirement for the set up process. This is for identity verification, and we have a little more info that goes into this in more detail here.

If this is not possible for you to obtain at this time, there are other payment solutions for you to choose from. We have a list of all those available here. These can allow you to accept payments on your store. 

I hope this helps!

Koreen W | Shopify 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Koreen

Thank you for your reply to my question. I am not familiar with other payment options you listed, is there any of such option that accepts Credit / debit card payment? if there is non, which of the payment option do you suggest that will serve better. For some months now,I have stopped marketin my store yet i pay every month to retain the store.

Thanks.

michael 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I have a similar but different question. 

I have setup a corporation in US. I have EIN number and bank account in US. But, the managing director is a foreigner who doesn't have a SSN. What is recommended solution for it? Is it also possible if I use my employee's SSN?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
392 1 38

Hi, Michael

Thanks for reaching back out and apologies for my delayed reply!

Sorry to hear that things have been on hold for you as you get this sorted. 
Generally speaking most payment solutions will accept both credit and debit card payments, though as these are third party it would be best to confirm this directly, along with the features and rates that they off too. This will allow you to secure the best payment solution to fit your own business needs.

On a side note, if you'd like to keep your store online, without the checkout function, we do have the option to Pause your account. This allows you to keep your info online at a reduced rate, until you are ready to start selling.

Hey, Lisa

Thanks for joining in!
I've checked on this with our internal teams, and while SSN a requirement when operating from the US, as the account owner, you can enter an FEIN here. However in these cases it is likely that our internal team will reach out to you for some more information to fully verify the account. You will also need to make sure that you do have a legitimate US address and US bank account too. 

Hope this helps! Do feel free to drop our support team a line any time at support@shopify.com.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, i am not a US citizen and i am not based in the US but i was able to obtain an EIN number. will this be enough for me to use shopify payments or must i have an SSN

0 Likes