How can I run my store without a Social Security Number

Highlighted
1 0 0

I work for an K-12 Private School that uses Shopify as their e-commerce / Point of Sale for their campus bookstore.  Is there any way to provide just an EIN or other company information rather than an individual's SSN to complete the verification process?  NOTE: I already entered my SSN to setup Shopify Payments, but I would prefer to not have it stored on the site as I the organization's IT support to setup the application, not the overall product owner.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
508 45 132

Hi, there!

Thank you for reaching out on this. The requirements for Shopify Payments may vary on a store-by-store basis due to a number of factors (e.g. location, the type of products sold), so there is no universal list of requirements that will apply to every account.

I have gone ahead and sent an email to the email address belonging to your forums profile; please check your inbox and reply to my email there so we can discuss this in more detail!

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, I have my company in the USA but it does not have social security, is it an LLC could you inform me how I do it? since someone told me to put the itin but I don't have it.

thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I have a client that is in a similar situation, he works for the corporation, and doesn't want his SS# associated with the account. Would he be able to use the company's EIN instead?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
508 45 132

Hi @Allie-Samantha,

Thank you for reaching out about this and yes, this should be fine. If your client is based in the USA and is setting up Shopify Payments on the store, they should have the option to specify that the business is a corporation/ LLC rather than a sole proprietorship, and can therefore provide an EIN rather than an SSN. 

If they have any issues with this process or have questions about it, please let me know here or contact our support team directly.

Kind regards,

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi There! 

Just popping in to this thread. 

I am an Australian citizen  I have a US EIN and a registered USA LLC (I am the single member, 100% owner) within the USA, alongside a US bank account. I have a US PO box, my registered agent has an address with my LLC, I have a US phone number created. My products are manufactured by a US printer in Minnesota and shipped within the USA using 3PL warehousing, so I have a strong operational presence.

I do not have a SSN.

If I convert my store to a multi member LLC will I be able to set up Shopify payments connected to a US bank account without an SSN? 

Thank you

Michelle
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
508 45 132

Hi @MichelleE,

Thank you for getting in touch and for detailing your situation. My understanding is that even if your business is an LLC and an EIN is provided, for US Shopify Payments accounts a Social Security Number (SSN) must still be provided. This can be the SSN for any contact or representative of the business and is used as part of the review conducted by our internal payments team.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi @Victor - thanks so much for responding.

When you say a 'contact', how is that defined?

For example - would I be able to use my accountants social security number? Or a close Americans friends? (with their permission).

Thanks so much

Michelle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
508 45 132

Hi @MichelleE,

I don't believe there are any specific requirements as to whose Social Security Number can or can't be used during setup, but we do need someone to provide this information and they will act as the Shopify Payments account representative. This individual may be required to provide proof of identity during the review process. I would recommend checking out section B-3 of the Shopify Payments Terms of Service for more information about this.

Kind regards,

0 Likes