How can I set a subdomain for Shopify Blog or a Page

Like: "play.mydomain.com" to one of Shopify page

1 Like

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 40 94

Hi, @coolzmm !

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is well with you.

Currently, it is not possible to point two different domains (subdomain or root domain) on different areas of your site by default. You would need to choose one or the other.

If you were looking to do this via redirects for example, any URL redirects created within Shopify would only work if the page that you are redirecting from is a 404 page or if the page you are pointing this subdomain to, is located on another site. We have some more info on this here.

There may be the option to custom achieve this with more advanced redirects for example. I'd recommend contacting your domain provider directly or a Shopify expert to see if they can help you with this through domain forwarding for example. 

I've also gone ahead and moved your post to the Shopify discussion board, just so that some of our experts in here can chime in with their own feedback.

I hope this helps - though feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Sure, thanks Katy

2 Likes
Tourist
10 0 2

Kathy, I envision sending out Facebook ads for single products under the subdomain of my site - Specials.soccer-views . com as an example.

What I do not understand is what the interface would look like.

Can I design my own "look and feel" of the subdomain, like my logo plus the word "specials" or would everything about the subdomain look like my main site?

My objective is to focus on just a single product without distraction to the rest of the store. This would NOT be a new store, but simply a section of it, like a different room.

Thanks

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 40 94

Hi, @soccer-views !

Thanks for joining in here. I'd love to help you out with this, to clarify things for you and hopefully offer some food for thought.

When you purchase your own domain, you are essentially purchasing the root domain. For example: soccer-views.com. You can then choose to prepend your own preferred subdomains to this e.g specials.soccer-views.com. This is how the subdomain would look. Creating a subdomain name is about the extent of the customization that you can do here.

As we chatted about above, I'm afraid that it would not be possible to use a subdomain for a specific product or page while using your root domain for the rest of your site. If you could think of your site as similar to a postal address. The same house cannot have two different postal addresses in use, in tandem. Similarly, your Shopify store cannot have two different addresses in use at the same time. It is not possible, by default to use different domains per each product or 'room'. Though if this is really what you are after, perhaps a Shopify Expert may be able to assist in some way using domain forwarding. 

I understand that your focus is on advertising a specific collection using Facebook Ads. Usually when using Facebook ads, the focus will still be on your specified product or collection, rather than on the entire store. When linking to a collection it would look like: soccer-views.com/collections/specials. While the look is not how you had envisioned, it would still lead your customers to the specified content. The only difference here would be the name in the URL bar.  Users would still have the option to explore the rest of your site, regardless of how this URL appears. 

I understand that you want to hone in the focus on one area of your store, but would it really be a bad thing if they also explored the rest of your site thereafter? Your customers may in fact like to check on things such as: FAQs, shipping and returns policies, or information on your brand in general. 

While possible to design the product page, collections and other areas of your store differently I would suggest against this, as it would take away from the consistency of your brand. Your logo for example is what you would like to imprint in users' minds. Changing this or the design of your pages within your store can then become a little confusing for your customers, or even distracting in itself.

So, the main takeaway here is that with Shopify, you would not be able to use multiple versions of your domain on your store at a time. Though you may be able to chat with an expert about this. It is also good practice to keep a certain level of consistency across your site, in line with your brand. 

I've included some additional information here which you may find useful also:

I hope this helps, though do feel free to let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers,

Katy

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 2

Thanks! I now thoroughly understand the subject!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 40 94

You're very welcome @soccer-views  - happy to help.

Cheers,
Katy

0 Likes