How can i stop pointing domain to shopify without accessing shopify?

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 0

Hello is there a way to stop pointing domain to shopify (want change to registrar and web hosting company to namecheap) without accessing shopify because i am on pause mode and want to remove store without accesing admin section?

I tried to change the cname record and URL Redirect Record to original registrar and web hosting company - namecheap but doesnt work. One domain says "This site can’t be reached" and one just chainged cname record and says "Your connection is not private".

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 99 357

Hey, @karmelito

Hoping to get some clarification to help point you in the right direction (pun intended). Jokes aside, it is a bit unclear if the domain was purchased through Shopify, or if the domain is managed through a third-party domain provider. 

• If the domain was purchased through Shopify, then you would need access to your Shopify admin in order to start the transfer process as outlined in our help document here
  • If the domain is managed by a third-party then logging in and updating the "A" record and "cname" record is all you'll need to do. While the domain will still be attached to your Shopify admin, it shouldn't have any effect on how the domain operates. DNS changes can take up to 24 hours to take effect, so you may not see immediate results if you've recently updated the records. 

In addition, if the domain is managed through a third-party domain provider, and updating the DNS records does not work, then you will need to reach out to their support for further troubleshooting as they'll have access to the tools needed to get your domain operational. However; if the domain is managed through Shopify, then let me know as I'd be happy to verify the store to see what we can do to help you gain access. 

May I ask why you're hoping to remove your domains? 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 0

I have bought the domain from namecheap.com and I updated "A" record (but not the cname) and waiting to take effect. Peter i dont want to remove domains but the shopify account because i dont have payment methods in my country.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 99 357

@karmelito 

Thank you for the clarification! You should be good to go once your changes have taken effect. If you have any issues with how the domain operates then it would be best to reach out to Namecheap support as they'll have the tools needed to better assist you. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes