How can we block human spammers?

Highlighted
1 0 0

Complex situation - we have a zoho form in our shopify website so don't use the standard Contact page template. 

We're getting lots of spam but the form is set up with specific questions which are all being answered so we think these are coming from actual humans filling in spam messages. For example one ask for a date and gets filled in with dates even though its not limited to date format or numerical characters.

So, we expect that adding a captcha won't stop spam and will merely annoy all the legitimate customers. 

Also because we cant use the shopify contact form, all the shopify captcha apps wont work with the standard page containing zoho webform code.

So - is there an app that stops spam farms / human spammers from targeting your site? TIA

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 39 51

Hey there, @NZMarqueeHire!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Great question, and thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with spammers, I can understand how bothersome that must be when trying to operate your business and offer quality customer service. What's the reason that you're under the impression that these are humans that are spamming your contact form, rather than bots? Are you seeing any commonalities amongst the spammers?

If there's a chance that you're experiencing bot-spam, you may be interested in checking out the Shop Protector app. Offering a 14-day free trial, this app charges $4.99/month USD. If you're convinced these are human spammers and see common trends, then the Locksmith app might be a good solution for your business. If these spam forms are submitted by the same "customer" names, the same email addresses, or the email addresses have something else in common (ex: ending in @mail.ru) then you'll be able to restrict your shop or certain pages from users with this app. After a 15-day free trial, Locksmith begins charging $9/month USD.

One of the features includes locking certain IP addresses; however, there isn't a way to natively track your visitor's IP addresses within Shopify. If you were wanting to consider using Locksmith to block specific IP addresses, you could look at using the IP Log app to actively monitor all IP addresses visiting your store. This can help you determine the IP addresses associated with those spam submissions and lock your site accordingly. The IP Log app is $10/month USD, after a 10-day free trial. All third-party apps will be supported by their developers, whom you can find the contact information for on their app pages.

Alternatively, you could also look at hiring an Expert to help you develop custom apps with these features. I hope one of these solutions is suitable for your business! Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
265 16 41

Hi there,

Captcha's can be intelligent. They won't show unless the form is being submitted a certain amount of times within a certain period of time. Google Captcha is one of the best ways to prevent against abuse on input forms explore that option more.

Best,

Sam

Custom Apps and Themes Support | hello@achieveapplabs.com
0 Likes