How can you change the name of a tag?

2 0 0

I have a tag called "word" that is applied to many items.

I want to capitalize it "Word" so it looks better.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
118 0 13

Generally within Shopify, you do have to go in and add the new tag (in this case "Word") and delete the old tag to switch, but luckily we do have a free app available here that allows you to quickly and easily switch the tags up without going in and out of each product!

0 Likes
2 0 0

Downloaded your app and ran the tag updates from "mug" to "Mug" on my page but it hasn't changed the uncapitalization... is there a specific way of running it that will notice the "m" and "M" difference?

I can't manually change it either - same problem as Justin mentioned.

Love the concept of your free app though - thanks for this! Will definitely be using it for future edits. Please let me know if the capitalization bug gets fixed.

0 Likes
Tourist
30 0 3

Hi Julie,

It looks like Shopify doesn't let you have the same tag twice with different capitalizations. For example, if a product has the tag 'mug' you can't add another tag named "Mug" to it. My guess is that's what's causing the issues you're having.

We've developed a Bulk Product Editor app for Shopify (with a free trial) and it I just tested it and it seems like it can do what you need. Once you install it you just need to:

• Click the Filter Products button and search for all products with your tag (ie, mug)
  • Click on the Next button, and say you want to edit the Tag field
  • Add a new tag to the product with the correct capitalization
  • Preview and run the edit

The tag name will show up twice in the preview window but once you run it you'll see the products in Shopify have the correct capitalization.

I hope this helps, if you run in to any issues we're always here to help. Thanks!

Daniel

Tired of spending hours manually editing products? Check out https://apps.shopify.com/bulk-product-editor
0 Likes
1 0 6

I realize this was from over a year ago but I just encountered the exact same issue and found a manual solution that does not require any apps, so I thought I'd share in case it can help someone else! 

In the page that gives your list of products, place a checkmark next to each affected product and select "edit products". You may need to add the field "tags" to the batch editing. Once this is done, you will see the tags for every product that was selected. Hit the X next to the bad tag (small m in Mug for instance), then re-type it the way it should be. It will accept the change. Go down the list this way until they are all done. :-)

6 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Thanks a ton! Seems like this works. From experience, I know it takes a while for the change to come through while viewing, but it all looks good in the backstage products interface. Great!

1 Like
Excursionist
12 0 1

Perfect solution... Thankyou! :-)

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 3

I swear I've read this and tried it a dozen times and still don't understand. Could anyone explain it differently or show a screen grab? I don't see "the tags for every product that was selected." What am I missing?

UPDATE: Since the capitalization issue was only for 3 tags in my blog posts, I remembered an old work-around from my programming days. Will work for products or blog posts:

1. Filter for all posts with lower-case tag (I needed to change the tag "sensor" to "Sensor").

2. While the filter is active, add temporary tag "sensor2" to the posts.

3. While the filter is active delete the tag "sensor" from all posts.

4. Filter for all posts with tag "sensor2" and add tag "Sensor" to the posts.

6. Filter for all posts with tag "sensor2" and delete the tag "sensor2"

Not pretty but it works.

0 Likes
Excursionist
12 0 1

Hi Mark,

I have taken some screenshots, hope this helps...

In list of products, place a checkmark next to the affected product, and select edit products...

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 17.54.55.png

If the field tags isn't visible select it from the drop-down entitled add fields, then you can edit the tag.

You will see that I have a tag entitled clay and I want to change it to Clay

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 17.55.27.png

Click in the tags field, which will bring up a box where you can delete the incorrect tag and then assign a new one, then save...

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 17.55.38.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 17.55.49.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 17.55.57.png

Hope that helps

ATB Lou :-)

1 Like
Excursionist
13 0 3

Well I feel like a dummy. 10 years using Shopify and I just learned there is a bulk editor. Thanks!

0 Likes