How can you void a return label you made for a customer within Shopify?

Rachel5
Excursionist
25 0 6

Hi,

I noticed an address mistake on return labels I issued to customers. I need to void, one the customer didn't ship yet. I don't want the customer to be able to. I am not sure if I am even going to issue another return label because the customer just never sent the item back and is not responding but I don't want a live return label to be out there without it being able to be voided.

Thank you, Rachel

Replies 4 (4)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Rachel5!

This is Rae from Shopify. Thank you for reaching out about this return shipping label. 

Just to confirm, was it the return address, or the customer's address that was incorrect on the original label?

While there isn't a way to void a return label, if you'd like to send the correct label to the customer, I recommend following these steps to recreate the correct label. When doing this, just make sure to click 'Edit address'  under the 'Return to'  field to edit the return address on the label and ensure it's your correct address. Once you do this, I suggest speaking with the customer directly to let them know that the first label was incorrect, and they will need to use the second label instead to return their product. 

You won't be charged for return labels unless the label is used by the customer and the package is returned to you. Return labels are charged as soon as they are weighed and scanned by the shipping courier, so if you are charged for a return label, it means the package was sent back to you by the customer. To find out more about how shipping labels are charged, I recommend visiting this link.

Additionally, the original label with the incorrect address will automatically expire one year after it's been sent to the customer, so as long as the customer uses the second label instead, you won't be charged for the first label, and it will eventually expire. 

Check out this link for more information on return shipping labels, and make sure to also read through the FAQ section here

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about this process and I'll be glad to help further. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Abnerr
Visitor
1 0 0

Are you telling me I CAN'T VOID A RETURN LABEL? Really? I just had a customer send the return with their own label and now I have a packaging slip that I've paid for and you're telling me that your limited software won't allow me to cancel it? I can easily cancel a label when I'm sending a package TO a customer. Why don't you make it so we can cancel a return label FROM  the customer? I'm finding myself more disappointed in Shopify...

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Abnerr

I understand your concerns. 

To clarify, return labels purchased through Shopify are only charged to merchants once they are used by the customer, and scanned in by the shipping carrier. This means that if the customer used their own label, rather than your return label, you won't be charged for this return label and it will expire. We have more details on this here.

To double check if you have been charged for this return label though, please visit the 'Settings > Billing' section of your Shopify admin to see if the charge is added here. This help document also provides more details on how shipping charges are listed on Shopify bills. 

However, you mentioned that you were charged for a packing slip. Did you print this packing slip from directly within your Shopify admin? If so, there shouldn't have been a charge associated with the packing slip, but you may have seen the price for the shipping label, as outlined here. So that I can help investigate this further, can you please confirm where the charge for the packing slip appeared on your account? Is it showing up in your Shopify admin under 'Settings > Billing > Bills'?

I'm happy to continue helping out once I have the above details! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

csc316
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same question...three years later.  Is there still no way to void a return label?  I have a customer who has engaged in a fraudulent transaction with my Shopify shop, and I have recouped our costs through Paypal and referred the customer for legal action with their local authorities.  This customer has a return label from us which they haven't used, for reasons that don't matter.  Are you telling me that if they get mad that we reported their fraud, they may send me a massive box of bricks at their leisure anytime in the next year and I'll be on the hook paying for it?  That's insane.

Please advise a way to cancel this return label ASAP.  Otherwise, I'm leaving Shopify.  Too high a risk.  Thank you.