How do I Default the currency picker to USD?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 0
Hello everyone 👋

My store base currency is CAD and I have enabled selling in multiple currencies through Shopify Payments (with my debut theme). I have no outside apps to interfere with the currency, only the Shopify Payments currency switcher.

However, I’d like the Shopify currency picker to default to USD because it’s ubiquitous internationally in comparison to CAD. How can I make this happen without switching my store currency from CAD to USD?

Thanks
Neil
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
576 20 186

Hey, Neil!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

It's great you decided to use our Multi-Currency feature. It will definitely simplify things for your International customers. Customers in the following countries will automatically see their own currency:

• Australia
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • The Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

If you prefer, you can install a currency selector to allow people to choose which currency they want to pay in.

The default currency for customers outside of these countries will always be your store currency, there isn't a way to change that. In Canada, stores are given a choice over whether they are paid out in CAD or USD but you can't choose one and have the other as your default selling currency.

You will most likely find the bulk of your customers are in one of the countries listed above. My store is based in Canada as well but I do general targeting using Instagram and Facebook groups so I haven't targeted people by country very much. Despite that, the majority of my customers are in the USA, followed by the UK, then Canada. A small minority are in Australia, New Zealand, France and Germany. This means my French customer is the only one outside of Canada who paid in CAD.

Shopify Payments is growing as well and will be available in more countries with time. When I joined Shopify just over three and a half years ago, it was available in the US, Canada and the UK only. That should give you some idea of the speed of growth.

What sort of marketing plan do you have for your own store?

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 12

Hi Aria, 

I was told by the support team that this automatic currency geolocation feature is only available to Shopify Plus accounts ($2K/month).

On my store with Shopify payments enabled and when I use a VPN to simulate a customer in the countries you mention, the currency selector doesn't adapt automatically to the local currency. 

Customers expect to see their local currency by default, not having to change it manually.

Apps can do that but they slow down the store considerably (especially the collections page) with the currency conversion and at the end customers have to pay in the store currency instead of their own local currency.  

1) What's your view on this?

2) If you confirm that we cannot have the geolocation feature, do you know if it will be available to all Shopify subscriptions in the near future?

3) How can we select a "default" currency in the currency selector (Debut theme)?  USD for example, even if the store payout currency is in EUR.

Regards

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 0
Hi eolas:

I went through the exact same issue and the only option I had to present USD by default was to change my store currency from CAD to USD. Fortunately, being in Canada, I have that option as a business to have a USD store but unfortunately I don’t believe that would be possible for you if you’re in Europe?
I agree the ultimate solution is that geolocation be a standard feature for the basic plan 99% of us are on. I’m not sure what the logic is to give that option to plus customers but maybe there’s some transaction cost I don’t know about to allow currency presentment by geo all the way through checkout (although that seems unlikely). Hope they add the feature soon to the basic plan.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 12

Hi Neil, 

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I contacted Shopify support directly and they changed my store default currency to USD, like you.  So yes, it's possible even in Europe.  Just the payout currency has to remain in EUR. Store and payout currencies are 2 separate concepts for Shopify.

I pushed to have the geolocation enabled for everybody in the future, let's see..  Unless I didn't get something, it's not complicated, I did it myself in PHP in the past. They just take the IP address of the customer, then check with a database in which country it comes from and then they know the currency to use. 

Useful link from Shopify: 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/selling-and-getting-paid-in-different-c...

Regards

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 0
That’s good to hear you were able to default to USD. I’ve also asked Shopify staff to add the geolocation feature for non-plus customers. Hopefully it will happen soon🤞

Neil
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
576 20 186

Hey!

The Multi-Currency checkout feature is available on all plans, not just Plus. As long as you're using Shopify Payments, it will be fine. I happen to be using it myself on the Advanced Plan. 

My customers do automatically see their own currency as long as they're in a Shopify Payments country. I contacted friends and family in other countries to test this for me and I can see in my orders the currency it was paid in.

The default currency for anyone who is not located in a Shopify Payments country will always be your store currency, this can't be changed. If your payouts are in Euro, the default currency will also be Euro. 

If you still have more questions on this, let me know.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 0
Hey again Aria and thanks for looking into this again!

Is it possible that in your case your friends/family have already changed the currency picker the first time and has their setting stored in a cookie?

Because I just tested several countries again now using geopeeker to see if something has changed but they all default to USD i.e. my store currency. I tested the following countries:

Singapore (supposed to be SGD)
Ireland (supposed to be EURO)
Australia (supposed to be AUD)
Canada (supposed to be CAD)
United States (correctly shows USD)
Brazil (correctly shows USD)

Is something not working on my store?
It would be awesome if the currency picker defaults by geo location and can’t see any reason why this feature wouldn’t be standard for all Shopify plans.

Neil

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
576 20 186

Hey, Neil!

No, I remember asking my sister to check it for me. She's in the UK, I'm in Canada. She visited my store before I set up the multi-currency checkout. After I set it up, I asked her to visit my store to let me know which currency she could see and she sent me a screenshot to show it was in GBP. It wasn't something she had to select. My store doesn't actually have a currency selector on it, the currency only displays automatically. It shows up in the order to show which currency they paid in like this: 

20-01-6nhsq-0qynx

My store currency is CAD.

It sounds like the issue may be due to the way your Currency Selector has been coded. Did you do that yourself or hire someone to create it? This guide explains more about the options that are available for setting up the Currency Selector. If it's not working the way you intended, a Shopify Expert could help code it correctly.

Not all merchants want this feature. There are costs involved due to the fluctuating exchange rate. For that reason, we allow everyone to decide if they want to use it or not. It can be used on any plan as long as Shopify Payments is the active credit card gateway.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 0
Thanks Aria

My stores uses the debut theme and the currency selector got added automatically upon enabling the selling in multiple currencies feature so the code for it is from Shopfiy.

So it sounds like the feature isn’t working correctly on my store then? It should automatically present the local currency via geolocation right?

Neil
0 Likes