How do I add a link to my Order Notification email?

Tourist
11 0 1

I'm just trying to add a link to a free download that's included with each purchase, so I'm looking for a simple way to include something like "Click [here] to get your free download" following each order in the confirmation email. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
205 1 22

Hi, there.

Leon here from Shopify Support. 

You can add a link or change any of the text that appears in your notification emails. You can edit the standard email notifications by going to Settings > Notifications and selecting the email you'd like to edit. In this case, you're looking for "Order Confirmation".

Once there, look through the template to find the text you'd like to edit and hit save. These are written in Shopify's liquid language, the variables you need to use to pull order data and create links in those notification emails can be found here. There are also some handy tips for the new order emails on this page

Does this help? Let me know if you have more questions. 

Cheers,

Leon 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Thanks for the quick reply, Leon. Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not trying to reference anything existing on my site or order, but just redirect to a new URL. I see how to connect to certain pages, but all I'm wanting to do is change text into a hyperlink. Perhaps I overlooked it, but do you happen to know the liquid code for this?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
205 1 22

Hello, again.

If you don't need to pull any information from the order, you can just add text to the email using HTML, rather than liquid variables which pull order data. The current template text as it appears in the body of an order confirmation email is near the top of the editor, shown here. There's a bit more context to editing the HTML in these in the help guide for this topic

Take care,

Leon 

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hey @ecb002 and Leon,

Tried following along with this convo but when I add a link to our order notification email it just shows the plain HTML. 

Example:

<a href="www.google.com" target="_blank">Click Here</a>

What am I missing?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
231 0 16

Hi, Pepijn!

Anders from the Shopify Social Care team here. Thanks for the follow-up question.

By default, all of the notifications templates are set up to read HTML rather than plain text. When I add the same code to the default template in my test store, the link displays as it should:

leads to:

If you have made any custom changes to your order confirmation template, I suggest using the default template as a basis for your customized template. It could be that your current template does not have any snippets declaring that HTML is being used. For example, no open <head> tag.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
  <title>{{ email_title }}</title>
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/assets/notifications/styles.css">
</head>

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes