How do I cancel a Paused store?

BrighterBazaar
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi

I set up a Shopify shop a couple of month's ago but I put it on Pause so that I can reevaluate what I'm selling etc. In the end it didn't turn out viable for me to continue with the shop so I now want to cancel it.

When I put it on pause it said after 3 month's they would charge me $9 per month on the Pause and Build plan. I obviously don't want this, but when I try to login to remove the shop altogether, it's asking me to choose a monthly plan before I can continue.

At the bottom of the page there is a button that says Remove Online Store, but this just refreshes the page and doesn't actually do anything.

How do I cancel my shop before Shopify takes any money from me, and without me having to choose a monthly plan before I can do so?

Thanks.

Replies 20 (20)

BrighterBazaar
Tourist
4 0 2

I've just tried to edit this post to add some more information, and to add a different label (I didn't realise the labels were the categories on the right hand side and was treating them more like tags). However I couldn't edit it or add a new label so I'm just leaving a reply.

Anyway, I wanted to add that I've just read a similar post from someone having the same issue, and someone recommended I contact support directly. I've tried that - when I go to Live Chat or Send Email it asks me to choose a store that I want to contact them about. I guess because my store is paused it's stopping it from showing up (my email address shows so I am definitely logged in), so it won't let me send an email or do live chat.

Another recommendation was that I choose a plan and then get a refund once the shop is closed. If I can't get in touch with anyone when my shop is paused I doubt it's going to be that easy to get in touch with anyone when it's closed!

Seriously disappointed that I can't just cancel my shop without having to pay extra. That is bad form. If I can't cancel it now I'll wait until the 3 month's is up and pay the $9 then cancel it (I should have full access then right????) 

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. How are you keeping today? 

In order to cancel the store, you will need to reactivate the account. If you incur any subscription charges we can investigate a refund once the store is completely canceled from your end. 

We wouldn't be able to close the account in full for you, however, you should be able to close the account by following the steps below once you have reactivated your account:

1. Log in to the admin section of your store.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Next, click Plan and Permissions.
4. From there, Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Close my Store".

Let us know how this goes!

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

BrighterBazaar
Tourist
4 0 2

Thank you for the reply. How do I go about contacting you to get the refund if the shop is closed? I can't contact you directly now when it's paused, so how will I when it's closed?

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

You can share your MyShopify URL for the canceled store here, and I'll email the account owner's email address on file with more information relating to potential refunds. Thanks! 

BrighterBazaar
Tourist
4 0 2

If I wait until the 3 month's are up and it charges me $9, will I have full access to the admin account to then be able to cancel it?

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

Yes! You can indeed wait until the store is automatically reactivated, where it will charge the billing information you have provided. You can then contact us once the store is closed to investigate any potential refund. 

FLo711
Tourist
7 0 9

This is a terrible system - and you are just trying to make it hard for people to cancel.

And why do you say 'potential refund' if I want to close a store and you advise I need to activate it then it should be a 'guaranteed' refund.

Fwiw I will be cancelling my store and am posting here in advance to make sure you provide me a refund of charged - can confirm this will be the case?

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

Hi @FLo711. As per our terms of service, Article 14.9, Shopify does not provide refunds. In exceptional circumstances, we can investigate whether a refund would be suitable for a particular case.

If you'd like me to investigate a refund on your store, please share the MyShopify URL for the store with me when you have canceled the store. 

Thanks!

FLo711
Tourist
7 0 9

Hi Cal,

Did you even read my message?

I passed the account. And when I paused the account I asked if I could cancel for free - they said yes.

Now you are telling me that you will charge me for cancelling. And that you will not honour your refund?

That is what you have stated if that's not eh case please clarify. 

And if that is the case you should be ashamed of yourself for manipulating your customers through a crappy interface that doesn't allow us to cancel without restarting a store.

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

I suggest reactivating your account and canceling the account. If there is an invoice incurred in order to cancel (there likely won't be) I will investigate a refund. Please provide your MyShopify URL to me here when you have canceled the store.

Thanks. 

FLo711
Tourist
7 0 9

Cal are you a real person or a robot?

You just repeated the same thing you said 2 posts ago (or maybe you just cut and paste everything?)

Can you clarify what is 'investigate a refund'?

Can you confirm (as your team did previously) that if I paiae my account and then want to cancel it I will not be charged, and that if I am it will be refunded (not investigated but actually refunded.)

Thanks for being as clear as mud and making me posts a simple questions 3 times now (let's see how many more times I have to before you give a straight answer!)

My shop URL is

https://shop-labs-au.myshopify.com/

FLo711
Tourist
7 0 9

Fyi Cal it says it's going to charge me.

Screenshot_20201102-160132_Chrome.jpg

 are you going to honour your previous comments and provide me with a refund?

Thnx

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

Hi @FLo711! It appears your store is still active. Let me know when you've canceled your store, and I'll investigate a refund on any invoice that is incurred.

Thanks! 

FLo711
Tourist
7 0 9

Screenshot_20201103-113940_Chrome.jpg

 no it's paused as the screenshot shows. I will cancel it now and expect you to issues (not investigate) a refund asap

FLo711
Tourist
7 0 9

The ship is closed I was charged 4.83 please issue a refund ASAP.

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

Thanks. I've emailed the account owner with more information relating to this request. 

edofile
Tourist
4 0 3

@FLo711  @Cal Hi I'm having the same issue the cancel store button doesn't work and it forces me to choose a plan or wait for a subscription renewal. I can't even email support as you must select a store first and since mine is paused it doesn't show. leaving me with no choice but to be charged. id like to request a refund for when I inevitably get charged. as It literally says you can cancel your store at any time for free.

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

Hi @edofile! How are you today? Did you get this addressed? 

If not, please feel free to share the MyShopify URL of your store with me here and I'd be happy to take a look. 

Thanks! 

edofile
Tourist
4 0 3

@Cal No I'm still having issues with it here's my URL: https://notedjournals.myshopify.com

Cal
Shopify Staff
989 103 173

Thanks! I've emailed the account owner with further advice on this.