How do I change our store login domain?

Highlighted
3 0 0

We have recently changed the primary domain to our shopify store, but the original domain remains in our shopify account login. No option is given in our store admin to remove this domain. 

How do we change this so that our store login will reflect our new domain?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
392 1 38

Hey,  Brian!

Koreen here from Shopify. Thanks for posting!

I'm afraid that it's not possible to change or remove the .myshopify.com domain name associated with your store.  This is needed when logging into your admin, though if you like you can migrate your content to a new trial with your preferred .myshopify.com domain name. 

However, once you do have your primary domain set, this will be the only domain name that your customers will see while on your store.

I hope this helps!

Koreen W | Shopify 

support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi, thanks for the response.

That wasn't quite what I meant... let me rephrase my question.

Our original domain was visionelle.com, and our current domain is stircrazygifts.com.

Our shopify account URL is https://visionelle.myshopify.com/. We want to change this to https://stircrazygifts.myshopify.com/. We can find no option to make this change. 

Can you help?

Thanks, Brian

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
392 1 38

Hey, Brian!

Thanks for your reply, and for providing more info here. :)

I'm afraid that the .myshopify.com domain is specific to each store. Once a store is created, we cannot then edit this URL in anyway thereafter. In this case, for example it would not be possible to directly change  https://visionelle.myshopify.com to https://stircrazygifts.myshopify.com within the admin of the same store.

However, what you could do as a workaround to achieve this, would be to create a new trial account called stircrazygifts.myshopify.com and move your content over. You could migrate any theme files and products via CSV, though any uploaded files outside theme, and blog posts etc will have to be copy/pasted into the new store manually.

I hope this helps - do let me know if you have any questions!

Koreen :)

support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Koreen, understood.

Thanks very much for your help,

Brian

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
26 0 15

I have this same issue. We are a new partner. Client did not know what domain she would buy so we started the development store using newmedia-book1-myshopify.com figuring that the Shopify platform was robust enough to allow a simple change.

Guys, it is just a sub-domain with an internal IP attached to it.

Yet you don't have the ability to make this kind of change? OK, I get that the sub name would have to be unique but that is not such a big deal. You already do a serach when the store is first created. 

The client got TangibleFaithPublishing.com as her real (primary) domain but for the life of Shopify she is stuck with newmedia-book1-myshopify.com as an internal URL. It is not that big a deal, but it just does not make a lot of sense... especially from a company who claims they have the most professional e-com platform out there.

You should at least put some kind of warning box on the partner admin when we create dev stores. 

Al
NewMediaEcom.com

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
392 1 38

Hi Al,

Koreen here once again.

Thank you for your feedback on this.

As mentioned, this .myshopify.com domain name is unique to each store. This is not something that can be changed within the system. This is because each myshopify URL acts as a unique identifier for a merchant's shop in our back end.

I do however understand where you are coming from with regards to creating development stores for your clients. While this name will in no way be visible to your client's customers, I can see how you would like to ensure this is streamlined for each development store that you create.

The option to create a new trial does also stand here, but I understand that you too may have already contributed significantly to the initial trial dev store.

I have passed your feedback through to our developers about adding a warning box or notification about this within the dashboard.

Thanks again for your feedback; do let me know if you have any additional questions regarding this.

Koreen

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,
Is it possible to disable or delete or hide (not redirect from ) .myshopify.com domain?

0 Likes
Highlighted

No, it is not possible, it is reserved once created.

Best Regards

Anand

We are a Shopify Partner Company
Built more than 100 Shopify Stores
Connect to me on m.me/firstwire or skype at anand@firstwireapp.com
Check portfolio at https://firstwireapp.com/shopify-services/
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

we have a requirement to put a reverse proxy in front of our shop (something like cloudfront or cludflare to be able to do some server-side logic before requests hit Shopify servers) and we need everybody making request to the website pass this proxy, but people can find the default  myshop.shopify.com and bypass our reverse proxy - we cannot use the redirect feature since we want to keep the main domain introduced to Shopify also hidden just to be used by our own proxy servers.
Seems there is not any walkthrough for our requirement with Shopify?

0 Likes